Quadratic form, law of inertia

In summary, the eigenvalues of Q are -1, -1 and 8. The point associated with 1/sqrt(8) is not on the surface of the quadratic form.
Gauss M.D.
Getting ready for linear algebra exam. One question that I got right but not exactly sure why is this:

---
Consider the quadratic form

Q(x,y,z) = 3x^2 + 3z^2 + 4xy + 4xy + 8xz

a) Decide if Q is positive definite, indefinite, etc.

b) What point on the surface Q = 1 lies closest to the origin and what is that distance?
---

I computed the eigenvalues and got -1, -1 and 8, i.e. indefinite. But when just completing the square, there is only two positive terms: x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y). How does this mesh with Sylvesters law of inertia?

Also, this form has got to be some kind of hyperboloid or something. So how can I know if the point associated with 1/sqrt(8) is actually on the surface? Since we're dealing with hyperbolas and not ellipses, that isn't always the case, is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
Getting ready for linear algebra exam. One question that I got right but not exactly sure why is this:

---
Consider the quadratic form

Q(x,y,z) = 3x^2 + 3z^2 + 4xy + 4xy + 8xz

a) Decide if Q is positive definite, indefinite, etc.

b) What point on the surface Q = 1 lies closest to the origin and what is that distance?
---

I computed the eigenvalues and got -1, -1 and 8, i.e. indefinite. But when just completing the square, there is only two positive terms: x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y). How does this mesh with Sylvesters law of inertia?

That's not the result of completing the square. If you complete the squares in x, y and z in that order you should get
[tex]3\left(x + \frac23y + \frac43z\right)^2 - \frac43\left(y + \frac12z\right)^2 - 2z^2[/tex]

pasmith said:
That's not the result of completing the square. If you complete the squares in x, y and z in that order you should get
[tex]3\left(x + \frac23y + \frac43z\right)^2 - \frac43\left(y + \frac12z\right)^2 - 2z^2[/tex]

But I thought the law indicated that no matter how you complete the square, the number of positive and negative terms will always be the same?

Gauss M.D. said:
But I thought the law indicated that no matter how you complete the square, the number of positive and negative terms will always be the same?

Yes, but rearranging [itex]Q(x,y) = x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y)[/itex] is not completing the square.

out of curiosity what level of linear algebra is this? Because I just finished my course and we never covered this haha. Though we did talk about eigenvectors

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that contains variables raised to the second power, also known as a quadratic term. It can take the form of a polynomial or a matrix, and is often used in algebra and calculus to solve equations and analyze functions.

2. How does the law of inertia relate to quadratic forms?

The law of inertia, also known as Newton's first law of motion, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. This concept can be applied to quadratic forms, as the variables in the expression will continue to behave in a predictable manner unless affected by a change in the equation or system.

3. Can quadratic forms be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, quadratic forms can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as projectile motion, population growth, and optimization of resources.

4. What are some common applications of quadratic forms?

Some common applications of quadratic forms include solving quadratic equations, finding the maximum or minimum values of a function, and determining the nature of critical points in a system. They are also used in statistics and machine learning for data analysis and prediction.

5. How can I improve my understanding of quadratic forms and the law of inertia?

To improve your understanding, it is important to practice solving problems involving quadratic forms and to familiarize yourself with the principles of the law of inertia. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises, to deepen your knowledge and skills.