Limit of an infinite sum.

In summary, the conversation discusses a limit involving a sum and an integral, which can be used to derive the formula for the surface area of a sphere. The limit is equivalent to the area of a quarter of the unit disc, which is pi/4.
mprm86
Sorry, i had already post a thread about this, but it was worng. As Dextercioby said,

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right)= \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]

So, how do I show this. Can I do it with an integral (as Dextercioby did)?
This limit came out when I was triyng to derive the formula of the surface area of a sphere in the way Archimedes did.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks very much like a Riemann sum.
If you split the interval [0,1] into n subintervals of width [itex]\Delta x = 1/n[/itex], then the right endpoint of the i-th subinterval is [itex]x_i = i/n[/itex].

So the sum can be written:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-x_i^2}\Delta x[/tex]
So if we let [itex]f(x)=\sqrt(1-x^2)[/itex] then the limit is:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x= \int_0^1\sqrt{1-x^2}dx[/tex]
which is the area of a quarter of the unit disc: [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

Yes, you can use an integral to show this limit. In fact, this is a common method for evaluating limits of infinite sums. To show this limit, you can use the Riemann sum approach, where you approximate the sum with a definite integral. This is similar to what Dextercioby did in the previous thread.

First, rewrite the sum as:

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right)= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}-i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right)

Next, we can use the fact that:

\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}-i^{2}}{n^{2}}} \approx \sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}

for large n.

Then, we can rewrite the sum as:

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}-i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right) \approx \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right)

This is now in the form of a Riemann sum, which can be approximated by a definite integral.

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2}}}\right) \approx \int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{1-x^{2}}dx

This integral can be evaluated using trigonometric substitution, and it will yield the result \frac{\pi}{4}. Therefore, we can conclude that:

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{n}\cdot\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1-\frac{i^{2}}{n^{2

1. What is the definition of a limit of an infinite sum?

The limit of an infinite sum is the value that a series approaches as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It is a concept in calculus that is used to determine the behavior of infinite series.

2. How is the limit of an infinite sum calculated?

The limit of an infinite sum is calculated by taking the limit of the partial sums of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. This is usually done using mathematical techniques such as the ratio test or the comparison test.

3. What does it mean when the limit of an infinite sum does not exist?

If the limit of an infinite sum does not exist, it means that the series does not converge to a specific value as the number of terms increases towards infinity. This could be due to the series diverging or oscillating between different values.

4. Can the limit of an infinite sum be negative?

Yes, the limit of an infinite sum can be negative. This can occur when the series converges to a negative value or when the series alternates between positive and negative terms, resulting in a negative overall limit.

5. How is the concept of a limit of an infinite sum used in real-world applications?

The concept of a limit of an infinite sum is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve continuous changes, such as population growth, stock prices, and electrical circuits.