What is the equation for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

• Thread starter TheManInBlack
  • Start date
TheManInBlack
I couldn't find an introduction thread so I just wanted to introduce myself: My name is Ade, I do a PhD in Plasma Nanomanufactoring at the Open University. I'm still adjusting to it but I really enjoy it. I have a Masters in Plasma Physics & Fusion from York University. I also have a standard Physics Degree from Bristol University. I do a lot of weight training and general exercise and I probably don't look like the average physicist :p I live in London, my parents are from Nigeria. Here is my favourite equation of all time:

[itex]ΔEΔt ≥ \frac {\hbar}{2}[/itex]

Hopefully I can help some people here and have fun

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Ade! :smile: Just out of curiosity, what's your favo(u)rite fish?

Welcome to the forum. You didn't find an intro section because we don't really DO intros. People just start right off by asking/answering questions.

Nice to meet you, TMIB :smile:!

Welcome to PF.

jtbell said:
Welcome, Ade! :smile: Just out of curiosity, what's your favo(u)rite fish?

My favourite Fish is most probably Red Brim :>

I love it when my mother cooks it for stew.

Thank you for the warm welcome guys, I'll try and be as helpful as I can around the boards and put my brain to good use!

OK, here's a nice red brim for you! :biggrin:

IhJQp-q1Y1s[/youtube] You have now been properly initiated to PF.

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's work on quantum mechanics revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and earned him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1932.

3. What is the equation for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The equation for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to wave-particle duality?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is closely related to the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The uncertainty principle arises from the fact that particles also have wave-like properties, and the more we try to measure their position, the more we disturb their momentum, and vice versa.

5. What are the practical implications of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle has important implications in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as electron microscopes and MRI machines, which rely on the principle to function. Additionally, the uncertainty principle has philosophical implications, raising questions about the nature of reality and the limits of human knowledge.