What graphics card should I choose for playing Civilization 5 on a 42 screen?

• Thread starter xAxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the speaker has not upgraded their desktop PC since 2007 and is now looking to upgrade their graphics card. They are not an expert on processors and found it difficult to classify them, but have purchased a Core i7 290 @ 2.67 GHz with 4GB of RAM and a low-priced graphics card. They are not a serious gamer, but would like to be able to play Civilization 5 on a 42-inch screen with high definition. They are considering purchasing a Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of memory for £60, but are open to other options in the price range of £50-£80. They are also unsure if there are any differences between using a 42-inch screen
xAxis
I haven't bought/upgraded desktop pc since 2007, and haven't been seriously following trends since. So, this morning, after all night researching about processors (it was very difficult to classify them by quality, not like old Pentium 1-4 days. In fact, I couldn't even determine what generation after P4 are the latest core I processors) I bought core I7 290 @ 2.67 GHz mounted on Asus P6t SE Mobo with 4 GB ram (ddr3).
The graphics card is miserable, but the price was good overall. Now I want to buy a graphics card.
I am not much of a gamer but would like to be able to play my favourite: Civilization 5.
I also intend to buy big 42inch screen, and am not sure if that is important for the choice of graphics card. I'd like to use High definition so as to enjoy Civ5 and maybe few racer games.
I found this Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB memory for £60, which is in my price range.
What would you advice me? Are there any other good models in range 50-80£, which is $80-120 (I guess) And are there any differences between 42" and common PC monitors.
Thanks for any advice.

Computer science news on Phys.org
When I say differences I mean , for instance, if above mentioned Radeon HD 5750 gives stunning resolution for common pc monitor, on bigger monitor (42") I guess to look equally stunning would have to have much more pixels (bigger resolution). So is it then simply covered by more Vram (say 2Gb), or has to have some extra fiture, like hdmi, which I know nothing about.

1. What is a graphics card and why do I need one?

A graphics card is a hardware component that is responsible for rendering images and videos on your computer screen. It is essential for tasks such as gaming, video editing, and graphic design because it takes the workload off of your computer's CPU, allowing for better performance and smoother visuals.

2. How do I know if I need a new graphics card?

If you are experiencing lag or low frame rates while playing games or editing videos, or if your current graphics card is outdated, then it may be time to upgrade. You can also check your computer's specifications to see if your current graphics card meets the minimum requirements for the software you want to use.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a graphics card?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graphics card include its performance, memory capacity, compatibility with your computer's motherboard, and budget. You should also research the specific requirements for the software or games you plan on using to ensure that the graphics card can handle them.

4. Can I upgrade my graphics card myself or do I need a professional?

It is possible to upgrade your graphics card yourself, but it may require some technical knowledge and the right tools. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, it is best to seek the help of a professional to ensure that the upgrade is done correctly.

5. How much should I spend on a graphics card?

The cost of a graphics card can vary greatly depending on its performance and features. It is best to determine your budget and then research different options within that budget. Keep in mind that a higher-priced graphics card may provide better performance and last longer in the long run.