How much should you tip a professor after finals?

In summary, this thread is about how to tip college professors. The general consensus is to tip 15% of the course registration fee. Some sources were cited, and it was mentioned that this system is common in other countries.
gravenewworld
Do you base it on difficulty of the class or a percentage of the actual class cost?

Typically I do 15% of the course registration fee, but I would like to know what's the acceptable standard.

edit: here's a useful link:

http://www.indiana.edu/~kruschke/lab/tipping.html

Provides the basic outline in the tipping process for college courses

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wow, I never would have thought to tip professors. How common is this?

woosh

Tip a professor? What?

Sheesh. If anybody had done that in my day, they would have been thrown out of the university forthwith, even if they scored 100% without being graded on a curve.

If you want to buy a degree certificate, AFAIK there are organizations that will sell you one on-line, without the hassle of doing any work. But I didn't realize it had now gone legitimate.

:bugeye:

(That article has got to be a joke.)

Evo said:
Your link was meant as a joke.

And clearly intended as one by the OP.

collinsmark said:
:bugeye:

(That article has got to be a joke.)

It has cited sources...

gravenewworld said:
It has cited sources...
:rofl:

DeBeers? Did you read those sources? :biggrin:

gravenewworld said:
It has cited sources...
Haa haa! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I just noticed those

De Beers, F. 1980. "Establishing Arbitrary Rules of Thumb in the Diamond Market," Journal of Worldwide Monopolies, Capetown, South Africa, Vol 45, No. 2, pp 15-27.

Greenspan, A. 1992. "Dicking with the U.S. Economy," in Proceedings of The World Economy as a Board Game, Washington D.C., Vol 2, pp 120-134.

O'Neill T. (Tip). 1987. "Congressional Ethics and Other Myths," Journal for Retired Congressmen, Cayman Islands, Vol 26, 787 pp 1-245.​

Like a cow?

Here's my standard tip: 'Don't quit your day job.'

When I was a grad student, I was a tutor and a marker for a mechanics class. The students were so appreciative of my efforts that they brought a case-and-a-half (36) of beer to my office as presents at the end of the semester.

The "Tip" O'Neill citation was a nice touch.

aaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

Great thread, GNW! NOW I know why my profs never liked me!

I happen to know some ex-patriate Russians, and they say this Academic tipping system worked beautifully over there during the whole Communist era. It's actually taught at the grammar school level to prepare their citizens for dealing with Government officials when they become adults. It's a good system to remember, also, if you ever have any dealings with Sicilian Businessmen or Third World police forces.

Time to shut this down.

1. How much should I tip a professor after finals?

There is no set amount or requirement to tip a professor after finals. Tipping is a personal choice and is not expected or necessary.

2. Is it appropriate to give a gift instead of a tip?

Yes, giving a gift such as a handwritten thank-you note or a small token of appreciation is a thoughtful gesture. However, it is not expected or necessary.

3. Should I tip the professor even if I didn't do well in the class?

Tipping is not based on performance or grades. If you feel grateful for your professor's efforts and support throughout the semester, you can tip them regardless of your final grade.

4. Can I tip a professor through a digital platform?

It is not common or appropriate to tip a professor through a digital platform. It is best to give a physical gift or tip in person, if you choose to do so.

5. Is it acceptable to tip a professor during the semester, or only after finals?

Tipping a professor during the semester is not common or expected. It is best to wait until after finals to show your appreciation for their hard work and dedication throughout the semester.