Building Muscle: Tips for Runners on Diet and Exercise

In summary: The Men's 800m race report:Wilfred Bungei was the pacesetter early on in the race, with the field closely bunched. Mbulaeni Mulaudzi attacked when he was clear, and Antonio Manuel Reina of Spain was third. David Krummenacker was fifth.
ConcealedDreamer
Hey guys, I was wondering what is the best way to build muscle if I run the track. Is it wise to eat a lot of fat, then run my buttocks off for the muscle? Or eat light and low carbs and low calories? What becomes muscles then?

Physics news on Phys.org
ConcealedDreamer said:
Hey guys, I was wondering what is the best way to build muscle if I run the track. Is it wise to eat a lot of fat, then run my buttocks off for the muscle? Or eat light and low carbs and low calories? What becomes muscles then?
Eat beef...lots of beef... :bugeye:

For running it is generally wise, as in other training, to load up on protein when doing any muscle breakdown. Carbohydrates come into play during running as your energy source (particularly if you are doing lots of long runs). Avoid the really fatty and greasy stuff, that doesn't tend to digest well during a run.

Just remember to stretch out the muscles after warmup and after cooldown, otherwise you'll be limping for the next few days.

What kind of muscle are you trying to build? I've found running is good for lean muscles with good definition. Lifting heavy weights is good for building muscle mass. Don't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. Work arms and chest one day and legs and back another. Work with weights four times a week and run for distance twice a week. I had put on 15 pounds in less than 3 months that way. I was eating a diet with lots of proteins and carbohydrates at the time (four full meals a day plus some) I'm sure someone here would have a great diet for you to follow. And motai is right about the stretching. That can be important, especially when its cold outside, or if your getting older in age.

Huckleberry said:
What kind of muscle are you trying to build?
The type of muscle will depend on whether one wants to sprint (as fast as possible) a short distance, e.g. 100 m, 200 m or up to 400 m, vs longer distances like 1 km, 1.5 km and longer.

Sprinters want fast twitching fibers, whereas long distance runners want slower twitching fibers. The difference comes with training, and weight-training is part of it. Also, stretching is very important, and I can't overemphasize that since I have seen runners do serious injury to themselves without proper stretching.

Eat protein or use a protein (amino acid) supplement, but stay away from steroids.

Also, check out - http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sprinting.htm . I just found it, so I don't know much about it, except it looks interesting. Apparently registration is required.

Also, talk to seasoned runners about their training regimes and diet. See JasonRox's thread on Working Out and Supplements in this forum.

Astronuc said:
The type of muscle will depend on whether one wants to sprint (as fast as possible) a short distance, e.g. 100 m, 200 m or up to 400 m, vs longer distances like 1 km, 1.5 km and longer.

Sprinters want fast twitching fibers, whereas long distance runners want slower twitching fibers. The difference comes with training, and weight-training is part of it. Also, stretching is very important, and I can't overemphasize that since I have seen runners do serious injury to themselves without proper stretching.

Eat protein or use a protein (amino acid) supplement, but stay away from steroids.

Also, check out - http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sprinting.htm . I just found it, so I don't know much about it, except it looks interesting. Apparently registration is required.

Also, talk to seasoned runners about their training regimes and diet. See JasonRox's thread on Working Out and Supplements in this forum.

What if I run middle distance? 800 m

I found the following from - Oslo - Exxon Mobil Bislett Games - 27th June 2003
http://www.time-to-run.com/track/goldenleague/2003/oslo.htm#800m

The Men's 800m race report
In the Men's 800m, they got down to business early with the pacesetter taking them through 400m in 51.25. Wilfred Bungei [ world leader - 1:43.05 ] was the first to show moving into the back straight with 300m to go, with the whole field closely bunched, waiting to make their move.

When the Kenyan, Bungei attacked it was decisive and it looked as though he would gallop away to a deserved victory, however the South African, Mbulaeni Mulaudzi stuck to his task in pursuing the clear leader.

These two were now clear, and with 20m to go Bungei faltered, allowing Mulaudzi momentum and finishing strength to break clear to achieve a well worked victory in 1:44.11 to 1:44.15.

Antonio Manuel Reina of Spain, 3rd in 1:44.65 continues to impress and he was finishing fastest of all the lot, however in order for this to be effective you need to be handy. Bungei will not allow athletes with big kicks to dominate at will.

American hope David Krummenacker was also handy, however going into the last 80m his challenge went out the backdoor, and he faded to 8th in 1:45.51. Krummenacker needs to be able to hand the fast first 400m to convince us that he is destined to be a great 800m runner, however if he concentrates on the 1500m in the future, he should make a massive impact.

Men :800m
1 Mbulaeni Mulaudzi (Rsa) 1min44.11secs
2 Wilfred Bungei (Ken) 1:44.15
3 Antonio Manuel Reina (Spa) 1:44.65
4 Andre Bucher (Sui) 1:44.99
5 Bram Som (Ned) 1:45.00
6 Djabir Sad-guerni (Alg) 1:45.00
7 William Chirchir (Ken) 1:45.14
8 David Krummenacker (USA) 1:45.51
9 Joeri Jansen (Bel) 1:46.94

One has to look at the times and look at the metabolic rate/muscle performance.

WORLD RECORD - 400m.
43.18, JOHNSON Michael

800 m requires a little more endurance, with average 52 sec/400 m, which is not as fast as a flat out 400m race.

Last edited:
Since you run 800m, then it would be fast twitch fiber like astronux stated. You can't really build any muscle if you only run. You need to start weight training and train hard. You need to focus especially on the legs so that means squats, leg press, deadlifts and leg curls. I am sure your coach knows the routin toward weight lifting. For nutrition, high carbs, high protein and moderate fat.

ConcealedDreamer said:

Never try to get results in a single session, otherwise you may have muscular injuries that can last for the lifetime. You are your own judge to know what to eat.

ConcealedDreamer said:
What if I run middle distance? 800 m
This is one of the hardest races to run. It is far for an all out sprint and too short to pace yourself. For training for this I would recommend you run a mile or two before you try this. Then practice long sprints.

Running won't build up bulk unless you do it all the time. Then it will show in your calves and thighs. Someone mentioned squats. Those are great if you do them right. And I like the standard pushups and situps because I don't need any equipment. For bulk use heavy weights. Go for the maximum weight that you can put up at least 10 times consecutively. Don't hurt yourself trying to put up as much as you can lift once. Think in repetitions.

1 Mbulaeni Mulaudzi (Rsa)
2 Wilfred Bungei (Ken)
3 Antonio Manuel Reina (Spa)
4 Andre Bucher (Sui)
5 Bram Som (Ned)
6 Djabir Sad-guerni (Alg)
7 William Chirchir (Ken)
8 David Krummenacker (USA)
9 Joeri Jansen (Bel)

Try searching Google and internet sites for these guys and look at their stature. IIRC, runners in the 1.5 km/mile are not muscular as are runners in the sprints. As you mentioned, this is a middle race between all out sprint and long distance. One definitely needs the endurance.

Training takes a while. Running a combination of long (for endurance) and short (sprints for speed) over many months. Then one can start to optimize the performance.

As others mentioned, weight training is important - hamstring/thigh curls are part of this. I would also recommend bicycle riding/sprinting. Also, and very important, STRETCH the muscles - full range.

1. How can I build muscle as a runner while still maintaining my endurance?

To build muscle as a runner, it is important to focus on both strength training and proper nutrition. Incorporating exercises such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts into your routine can help build muscle while also improving overall strength and stability. Additionally, make sure to consume enough protein in your diet to support muscle growth and allow for adequate rest and recovery time between workouts.

2. Can I build muscle while also trying to lose weight?

Yes, it is possible to build muscle while trying to lose weight. However, it may require a slightly different approach. In addition to strength training and proper nutrition, incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) into your routine can help burn fat while also promoting muscle growth. Keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat, so while you may not see a significant change in weight, you may notice a difference in your body composition.

3. Should I focus on lifting heavy weights or using lighter weights with more reps?

The best approach for building muscle as a runner is to incorporate both heavy lifting and lighter weight, higher rep exercises into your routine. This will help target different muscle fibers and promote overall muscle growth. However, it is important to maintain proper form and technique to avoid injury, so start with lighter weights and gradually increase as you become stronger.

4. How often should I strength train to see results?

Consistency is key when it comes to building muscle. Aim to strength train at least 2-3 times per week, allowing for at least one day of rest in between sessions. This will give your muscles time to recover and rebuild. As you become more experienced, you may be able to increase the frequency or intensity of your workouts.

5. Can I still follow a plant-based diet and build muscle as a runner?

Yes, it is possible to build muscle on a plant-based diet. Make sure to incorporate a variety of protein-rich plant-based foods such as beans, lentils, tofu, and tempeh into your meals. You may also consider supplementing with protein powders or bars to ensure you are getting enough protein to support muscle growth. Consult with a registered dietitian to create a balanced nutrition plan that works for you.