Applying Boundary Conditions in Homogeneous ODE Problems

• Thread starter AntSC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the eigenvalues for the given homogeneous ODE problem are λ = 1 - π^2n^2, where n is an integer. The corresponding eigenfunctions are u(x) = Ae^(iπnx) - Be^(-iπnx). The coefficients A and B are undetermined and can be chosen freely.
AntSC
Find the eigenvalues λ, and eigenfunctions u(x), associated with the following homogeneous ODE problem:

[tex] {u}''\left ( x \right )+2{u}'\left ( x \right )+\lambda u\left ( x \right )=0\; ,\; \; u\left ( 0 \right )=u\left ( 1 \right )=0 [/tex]

Solution:

Try [itex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{rx} [/itex], which gives roots [itex] r=-1\pm \sqrt{1-\lambda } [/itex]. Solution is altered with [itex] \lambda <1\; ,\; \; \lambda =1\; ,\; \; \lambda >1 [/itex]

For the first case [itex] \lambda <1 [/itex]:

General solution:
[tex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{\left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x}+Be^{\left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x} [/tex]
[tex] u\left ( x \right )=C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x [/tex]

Applying boundaries: (this is where my question lies - how to correctly apply BCs)

[itex] u\left ( 0 \right )=0 \; \; \Rightarrow \; \; C+D=0 [/itex] (some cases I've seen the conclusion that only [itex] C=0 [/itex]). Do i assume that as [itex] \cosh [/itex] is never zero that [itex]C=0[/itex] and therefore it must be that [itex]D=0[/itex]. Or do i only take [itex]C=0[/itex] and then apply the second BC to see what happens to [itex]D[/itex]?
The latter (assuming [itex]C=0[/itex]) gives [itex]D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0[/itex]. So either [itex]D=0[/itex] or [itex]\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=i\pi n[/itex].

I'm confused by the rules for the BCs. Can anyone point out how to proceed? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AntSC said:
Find the eigenvalues λ, and eigenfunctions u(x), associated with the following homogeneous ODE problem:

[tex] {u}''\left ( x \right )+2{u}'\left ( x \right )+\lambda \left ( x \right )=0\; ,\; \; u\left ( 0 \right )=u\left ( 1 \right )=0 [/tex]
What does (x) mean? Is it the independent variable, and λ is also function of x, or the whole equation is multiplied by x, and λ is a constant? ehild

To apply a BC u(x=a)=b, you take the general expression for u(x), and everywhere you see an "x" you write in an "a", and at the end of the line you write "=b".

In your case, for u(0)=0 you write down:
$$C\cosh (-1+\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0)+D\sinh (-1-\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0) = 0$$ ... and simplify.

You don't need to make assumptions - you know the values of the cosh and sinh parts at x=0 and if you don't you can look them up.

Then repeat for u(1)=0 ...

Note: I had the same puzzle as ehild over ##\lambda(x)## ... I assumed it was a typo considering the solution and focussed on the answer to your question.
Have you checked your general solution against the DE?

Last edited:
ehild said:
What does (x) mean? Is it the independent variable, and λ is also function of x, or the whole equation is multiplied by x, and λ is a constant?

ehild

Sorry, that was meant to be λu(x). I've corrected the original post.

Simon Bridge said:
To apply a BC u(x=a)=b, you take the general expression for u(x), and everywhere you see an "x" you write in an "a", and at the end of the line you write "=b".

In your case, for u(0)=0 you write down:
$$C\cosh (-1+\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0)+D\sinh (-1-\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0) = 0$$ ... and simplify.

You don't need to make assumptions - you know the values of the cosh and sinh parts at x=0 and if you don't you can look them up.

Then repeat for u(1)=0 ...

Note: I had the same puzzle as ehild over ##\lambda(x)## ... I assumed it was a typo considering the solution.

Thanks Simon.
With the first BC I'm seeing that the result doesn't actually tell me anything about the coefficients as they're multiplied by zero. Is that correct? So i still know nothing about C and D. Assuming i got some kind of positive result from the first BC how does that impact on use of the second?. For instance if i got C=0 then do i ditch the first term in the general solution when i use the second BC?

AntSC said:

[tex] {u}''\left ( x \right )+2{u}'\left ( x \right )+\lambda u\left ( x \right )=0\; ,\; \; u\left ( 0 \right )=u\left ( 1 \right )=0 [/tex]

Solution:

Try [itex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{rx} [/itex], which gives roots [itex] r=-1\pm \sqrt{1-\lambda } [/itex]. Solution is altered with [itex] \lambda <1\; ,\; \; \lambda =1\; ,\; \; \lambda >1 [/itex]

General solution:
[tex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{\left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x}+Be^{\left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x} [/tex]

No need to complicate the solution with cosh and sinh.

With the notation a=√(1-λ)>0, the general solution is u(x)=e-x(Aeax+Be-ax)

At x=0, u(0)=A+B=0 --->B=-A

At x=1, u(1)=e-1(Aea+Be-a)=0---> A(ea-e-a)=0

Is it possible if a>0??

ehild

A lot of people consider cosh and sinh to be less complicated than [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]e^{-x}[/itex]! Especially when one of the boundary conditions is at x=0. cosh(0)= 1 and sinh(0)= 0.

ehild said:
No need to complicate the solution with cosh and sinh.

With the notation a=√(1-λ)>0, the general solution is u(x)=e-x(Aeax+Be-ax)

At x=0, u(0)=A+B=0 --->B=-A

At x=1, u(1)=e-1(Aea+Be-a)=0---> A(ea-e-a)=0

Is it possible if a>0??

ehild

Ok. I'm happy with that. So [itex] A\left ( e^{a}-e^{-a} \right )=0 [/itex] gives [itex] a=i\pi n [/itex] and we can get the eigenvalues from there [itex] \lambda = 1-\pi ^2 n^2 [/itex]

So, how do i write the general solution now, given that we haven't found anything out about the coefficients A and B. Would it be, [tex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{i\pi n}-Be^{-i\pi n} [/tex]

You wrote
is it possible with a>0??
Did you mean a<0?

I mean a>0 which means λ<1. Is it possible to fulfil the BC-s with λ<1? As you started to discuss that case.

And yes, you can get a solution zero at both boundaries when λ>1, that is, √(1-λ) is imaginary.

By the way, your formula with the cosh and sinh is not correct. You should have written
[tex]u(x)=e^{-x}(C\cosh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)+Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)[/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
I mean a>0. Is it possible to fulfil the BC-s with λ<1?

ehild

Sorry, weren't we just doing the case for λ<1?

AntSC said:

Solution:

General solution:
[tex] u\left ( x \right )=C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x [/tex]

That should be
[tex]
u(x) = Ce^{-x} \cosh((1-\lambda)^{1/2}x) + De^{-x} \sinh((1 - \lambda)^{1/2}x)
[/tex]

Applying boundaries: (this is where my question lies - how to correctly apply BCs)

[itex] u\left ( 0 \right )=0 \; \; \Rightarrow \; \; C+D=0 [/itex] (some cases I've seen the conclusion that only [itex] C=0 [/itex]). Do i assume that as [itex] \cosh [/itex] is never zero that [itex]C=0[/itex] and therefore it must be that [itex]D=0[/itex]. Or do i only take [itex]C=0[/itex] and then apply the second BC to see what happens to [itex]D[/itex]?
The latter (assuming [itex]C=0[/itex]) gives [itex]D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0[/itex]. So either [itex]D=0[/itex] or [itex]\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=i\pi n[/itex].

I'm confused by the rules for the BCs. Can anyone point out how to proceed? Thanks

The solution to the eigenvalue problem [itex]v'' + \mu v = 0[/itex] with [itex]v(0) = v(1) = 0[/itex] is [itex]\mu_n = n^2\pi^2[/itex] with [itex]v_n(x) = \sin(n\pi x)[/itex]. This is relevant to your problem, because the substitution [itex]u(x) = e^{-x} v(x)[/itex] reduces your ODE to
[tex]
v'' + (\lambda - 1)v = 0
[/tex]
with [itex]v(0) = v(1) = 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
That should be
[tex]
u(x) = Ce^{-x} \cosh((1-\lambda)^{1/2}x) + De^{-x} \sinh((1 - \lambda)^{1/2}x)
[/tex]

Thanks for that.
When we apply the first boundary u(0)=0 doesn't that yield that C=D=0?

When λ<1
at the first boundary, x=0, [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)=C\rightarrow C=0[/itex]
at the second boundary,x=1, [itex]u(1)=D\sinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0 \rightarrow D=0[/itex]

ehild

ehild said:
When λ<1
at the first boundary, x=0, [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)=C\rightarrow C=0[/itex]
at the second boundary,x=1, [itex]u(1)=D\sinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0 \rightarrow D=0[/itex]

ehild

Why is the first boundary not [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)\rightarrow C=D=0[/itex]?
This is what i don't understand. Someone else was also telling me that the boundaries are applied to find a result for one coefficient at a time. Why is this?

AntSC said:
Why is the first boundary not [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)\rightarrow C=D=0[/itex]?
This is what i don't understand. Someone else was also telling me that the boundaries are applied to find a result for one coefficient at a time. Why is this?

[itex]\sinh(0) = 0[/itex], so [itex]D \sinh(0) = 0[/itex] for any [itex]D[/itex].

AntSC said:
Why is the first boundary not [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)\rightarrow C=D=0[/itex]? This is what i don't understand. Someone else was also telling me that the boundaries are applied to find a result for one coefficient at a time. Why is this?

Because that would be incorrect algebra. The relationship you get is not C=D.

Since sinh(0)=0, the expression collapses to u(0)=C. That's just normal algebra.
You also know that u(0)=0, therefore C=0. Notice how, by itself, this tells you nothing about the value of D. Which is why you need another relation.

If, however, the expression was more like u(x)=Ccosh(x)+D(sinh(x)-1)
then u(0)=0 would get you 0=C-D so that C=D.
But that is not what you have. Not even close.

pasmith said:
[itex]\sinh(0) = 0[/itex], so [itex]D \sinh(0) = 0[/itex] for any [itex]D[/itex].

Exactly what he said:
Also think about how simultaneous equations work.
This is the same thing.

Ok, just to be really clear... As a result of the boundary conditions we have
[tex] u(0)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)=0 [/tex]and
[tex] u(1)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0 [/tex]
I understand your point about solving simultaneously but how to we infer, for the first boundary, that only C=0? Given that [itex] \sinh (0)=0 [/itex], surely then D=0 also. So [itex] \cosh (0) [/itex] is undefined and [itex] \sinh (0)=0 [/itex] so the resultant equation for [itex] u(0)=0 [/itex] is [itex] 0=0 [/itex]. Therefore both C and D must be zero?

AntSC said:
Ok, just to be really clear... As a result of the boundary conditions we have
[tex] u(0)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)=0 [/tex]and
[tex] u(1)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0 [/tex]

the second formula is wrong. It should be

[tex]u(x)=e^{-x}(C\cosh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)+Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x))[/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
the second formula is wrong.

Can you show me how this is wrong? I don't get it.

See Post #11

ehild

Just clicked with something. Don't know why i was thinking along the lines i was. I see now that from the first boundary that it is only C=0. Based on that, the result of the second boundary can be written as just the [itex] D\sinh [/itex] term. Not sure I'm writing the hyperbolic form correctly now though...

Last edited:
AntSC said:
Just clicked with something. Don't know why i was thinking along the lines i was. I see now that from the first boundary that it is only C=0. Based on that, the result of the second boundary can be written as just the [itex] D\sinh [/itex] term. Not sure I'm writing the hyperbolic form correctly now though...

Your hyperbolic form was wrong.

ehild

ehild said:
See Post #11

ehild

I don't see how pulling out an [itex] e^{-x} [/itex] changes anything. Also, i am going on the lecturer's solutions where he wrote the hyperbolic form with the [itex] -1 [/itex] in it also. Could be wrong. Actually, now i look at it (i took it as given before), i can't work out the conversion to hyperbolic form correctly. I just get one [itex] \cosh [/itex] term. No [itex] \sinh [/itex] term.
I subbed in [itex] e^x=\cosh x + \sinh x [/itex] and [itex] e^{-x}=\cosh x - \sinh x [/itex]. Missing something obvious?

AntSC said:
I don't see how pulling out an [itex] e^{-x} [/itex] changes anything. Also, i am going on the lecturer's solutions where he wrote the hyperbolic form with the [itex] -1 [/itex] in it also. Could be wrong. Actually, now i look at it (i took it as given before), i can't work out the conversion to hyperbolic form correctly. I just get one [itex] \cosh [/itex] term. No [itex] \sinh [/itex] term.
I subbed in [itex] e^x=\cosh x + \sinh x [/itex] and [itex] e^{-x}=\cosh x - \sinh x [/itex]. Missing something obvious?
Remember the original solution was

If you replace all exponentials with the correct sinh and cosh you get something different.

ehild

ehild said:
If you replace all exponentials with the correct sinh and cosh you get something different.

[tex]u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{\left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x}+Be^{\left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x}[/tex]
let [itex] \mu =\sqrt{1-\lambda }[/itex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{-x}e^{\mu x}+Be^{-x}e^{-\mu x}[/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=A\left(\cosh x-\sinh x\right)\left(\cosh \mu x+\sinh \mu x \right)+B\left(\cosh x-\sinh x\right)\left(\cosh \mu x-\sinh \mu x \right)[/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=A\left[\cosh x\cosh \mu x-\sinh x\sinh \mu x+\cosh x\sinh \mu x-\sinh x\cosh \mu x\right]+B\left[\cosh x\cosh \mu x+\sinh x\sinh \mu x-\cosh x\sinh \mu x-\sinh x\cosh \mu x\right][/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=A\left[-\cosh \left(x-\mu x \right )+\sinh \left(x-\mu x \right )\right]+B\left[\cosh \left(x+\mu x \right )-\sinh \left(x+\mu x \right )\right][/tex]
and then I'm back to where i started

If i write it like you originally suggested
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{-x}e^{\mu x}+Be^{-x}e^{-\mu x}[/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{-x}\left(\cosh \mu x+\sinh \mu x \right)+Be^{-x}\left(\cosh \mu x-\sinh \mu x \right)[/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=e^{-x}\left[ \left(A+B\right)\cosh \mu x+ \left(A-B\right)\sinh \mu x\right][/tex]
[tex]u\left ( x \right )=e^{-x}\left[ C\cosh \mu x+ D\sinh \mu x\right][/tex]
So it can't be written like the lecturer has suggested. The latter form must be correct then.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Now I've got that sorted, applying boundaries:
[tex]u\left ( 0 \right )=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh 0 + D\sinh 0 = 0 [/tex]
Ok I'm going to ask this question again. The D-term vanishes as sinh(0)=0 but doesn't the C-term also vanish as cosh(0) is undefined? Aren't we then left with this boundary not telling us anything about either coefficients?

AntSC said:
Now I've got that sorted, applying boundaries:
[tex]u\left ( 0 \right )=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh 0 + D\sinh 0 = 0 [/tex]
Ok I'm going to ask this question again. The D-term vanishes as sinh(0)=0 but doesn't the C-term also vanish as cosh(0) is undefined? Aren't we then left with this boundary not telling us anything about either coefficients?

cosh(0) is defined, it is 1.

Yes, Dsinh(0)=0 as sinh(0)=0. But that does not mean that D=0. It can be anything, as anything multiplied by zero is equal to zero.

As u(0)=0 and u(0)=1*C, C must be zero.

The first boundary condition gives you the value of C: C=0. D is unknown yet. Apply the second boundary condition.

ehild

ehild said:
cosh(0) is defined, it is 1.

ehild

Oh crap. Sorry, having a tough day.

Ok. Second boundary.

[tex]u(1)=0 \Rightarrow e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/tex]
Either [itex]D=0[/itex] or [itex]sinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{1-\lambda}=in\pi[/itex]

So [itex] \lambda=1+n^2 \pi ^2[/itex]

And [itex] u(x)=e^{-x}Dsinh(in\pi ) \Rightarrow u(x)=ie^{-x}Dsin(n\pi ) [/itex]

AntSC said:
Oh crap. Sorry, having a tough day.

Ok. Second boundary.

[tex]u(1)=0 \Rightarrow e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/tex]
Either [itex]D=0[/itex] or [itex]sinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{1-\lambda}=in\pi[/itex]

NO.
We assumed that λ<1. In this case, [itex] e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/itex] involves that D=0.

Assuming λ<1 and both u(0)=0 and u(1)=0 results in u(x)=0.

Next step: assume λ=1. What is the form of u(x) then?

ehild

ehild said:
We assumed that λ<1. In this case, [itex] e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/itex] involves that D=0.

ehild

How is that [itex] e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/itex] involves that D=0 ?

AntSC said:
How is that [itex] e^{-1}Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0[/itex] involves that D=0 ?

Remember you said that λ<1. In this case, 1-λ >0, √ (1-λ) is real, and different from zero. The sinh function is zero only when its argument is zero. How else can be the product equal to zero if not with D=0?

ehild

Fantastic. Didn't see that at all. Thanks very much!

For [itex]\lambda=1 \Rightarrow u(x)=e^{-x}[Ax+B] [/itex]
So [itex]u(0)=0 \Rightarrow B=0[/itex] and [itex]u(1)=0 \Rightarrow A=0[/itex] and therefore [itex]u(x)=0[/itex]

For [itex]\lambda>1 \Rightarrow u(x)=e^{-x}[A\cos (\sqrt{\lambda-1})x+B\sin (\sqrt{\lambda-1})x] [/itex]
So [itex]u(0)=0 \Rightarrow A=0[/itex] and [itex]u(1)=0 \Rightarrow [/itex] either [itex]B=0[/itex] or [itex]\sin (\sqrt{\lambda-1})=0 \Rightarrow (\sqrt{\lambda-1})=n\pi [/itex]

So the eigenvalues are [itex] \lambda =1+\pi^{2}n^{2} [/itex]
And the eigenfunctions are [itex] u(x)=Be^{-x}\sin (n\pi x) [/itex]

All correct?

Yes, it looks correct:smile:

ehild

Great. Thanks so much for all your help!
I'm pleased to put this one to bed and come out having cleared some things up.
Cheers!

1. What are boundary conditions in homogeneous ODE problems?

Boundary conditions in homogeneous ODE problems refer to the constraints or limitations placed on the solution of the differential equation at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are necessary to fully determine the solution of the ODE.

2. How do you apply boundary conditions in homogeneous ODE problems?

To apply boundary conditions in homogeneous ODE problems, you must first identify the type of boundary conditions (e.g. Dirichlet, Neumann, Robin) and then substitute the values given in the boundary conditions into the general solution of the ODE. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved to find the constants of integration in the solution.

3. Why are boundary conditions important in solving homogeneous ODE problems?

Boundary conditions are important in solving homogeneous ODE problems because they provide the necessary information to fully determine the solution of the ODE. Without boundary conditions, the solution would have an infinite number of possible solutions, making it impossible to find a unique solution.

4. What happens if the boundary conditions are not specified in homogeneous ODE problems?

If the boundary conditions are not specified in homogeneous ODE problems, the solution will have an infinite number of possible solutions. This is because the boundary conditions are necessary to fully determine the solution of the ODE. Without them, the solution will have an arbitrary constant that cannot be determined.

5. Can boundary conditions be applied to non-homogeneous ODE problems?

Yes, boundary conditions can also be applied to non-homogeneous ODE problems. In this case, the boundary conditions will be used to determine the particular solution of the ODE, while the general solution will still have an arbitrary constant that is determined by the initial conditions of the problem.