Can You Spot the Lie? - A Game of Truths and Deceptions

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, you were shot by a drunk cop, you skied in the Bering Sea, and you were deported from Bulgaria.
zoobyshoe said:
#1 is the lie, yes, but no, I haven't written any.

Then you should consider it. :smile:

Lol phinds!

Physics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]Actually, zoobyshoe, he was responding to my thread.[/STRIKE] OOPS ... my mistake

Senti31, no #1 is totally true, although it could be looked at as a gross exaggeration since I was only the marble shooting champion of the several hundred American kids, American Army dependents, who lived in Tokyo. I don't know if the Japanese even DID shooting marbles, but they must have done SOMETHING with them because they sure did make some neat ones. After one year in Japan, where I started with a small bag or marbles that my Dad gave me, I came back to the states with about 15 cigar boxes full of marbles. Oh, and there actually WAS a championship match in the American community, which I won.

phinds said:
(4) I designed the "toilette seat in space", which is the end-cover of the Hubble Space Telescope, in the early 1970s (can't remember the exact year)
I think this may be the lie. Your background seems to be EE and this strikes me as a more mechanical element.

zoobyshoe said:
I think this may be the lie. Your background seems to be EE and this strikes me as a more mechanical element.

It is more of a mechanical element, but when I was in my early days at NASA I was literally on the "fast track" and they sent me to graduate school and also let me sit in on some of the early design meetings for cool stuff like the Space Telescope ("Hubble" hadn't been added yet) and the Global Positioning Satellite System.

We young guys were pretty much supposed to keep our traps shut and let the more senior people do the talking but I've never been great at that so when one of the ME's suggested using an iris type mechanism with lots of metal plates that opened and closed like the thingy on an old-style camera, I kind of sniggered and suggested that that would likely have the problem that the first time it was hit by a micrometeorite it would lock in position, and Murphy said that would be in the closed position, thus converting the Space Telescope into the Floating Doorstop in Space.

They were not amused and asked what I suggested. I said, just put a toilette seat on it. That caused some red-faced sputtering on the part of a couple of the senior people who thought maybe I was kidding, but their sputtering kind of trailed off, eventually, into something like, "oh, yeah, that would work". And so it does.

I hate the four character limit.

Enigman said:
I hate the four character limit.

No, that one is also true. I did not throw the egg but a guy on our school bus did and when the bus was later stopped by the American MPs, They started down the aisle asking everyone "did you throw the egg?" and "do you know who threw the egg?". Some people probably didn't know for sure but some just lied. I told the truth that I had not thrown the egg but I did know who threw it. But I wouldn't tell them who, so they arrested ME for throwing it. They then went on down the aisle and eventually found out who had thrown it but they took me off the bus along with him. My dad had to come retrieve me from the MP office, by which time they had decided that rather than charging me with "obstruction of justice" (or something similar) that they were dropping it down to some more like "being a wise-guy".

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that no one got it right. Do I get a prize?

As for #3, I was not actually thrown out of Russia, I just worried the hell out of the American tour guide because I refused to stop trying to engage Russians, including our Intourist Guide, in political discussions and he said I was going to get us ALL kicked out. But we didn't. I also pretty much failed in all my attempts to get Russians to engage in political discourse. They all just wanted to buy my blue jeans and sneakers.

phinds said:
They were not amused and asked what I suggested. I said, just put a toilette seat on it. That caused some red-faced sputtering on the part of a couple of the senior people who thought maybe I was kidding, but their sputtering kind of trailed off, eventually, into something like, "oh, yeah, that would work". And so it does.
Great story!

phinds said:

Yeah, great story! You're not sh***ing us, are you? And a really fun idea for a thread, this one :approve:. I'm trying to come with some weird stuff myself, but loo and behold, it won't even come close to putting a toilet seat up in space.

DennisN said:
Yeah, great story! You're not sh***ing us, are you? And a really fun idea for a thread, this one :approve:. I'm trying to come with some weird stuff myself, but loo and behold, it won't even come close to putting a toilet seat up in space.

This is a true story and I love having it. It's actually a bit more fun to tell when I get to act out the parts of the ME and the senior PhD guy who really got P.O'd at me

phinds said:
This is a true story and I love having it.
Really fun! :smile:

Well, there are no toilet seats in my stories, but I tried to come up with some weird stuff to ponder:

1. I tried to pass customs with a newly hot-wired car, and I was brought into custody for four hours, and had to strip naked in front of the police.

2. I've accidentally set a house on fire with fireworks I made myself.

3. I have a Nazi Christmas calendar from 1941 in pristine condition, and a Nazi party badge.

4. I've been on an icy roof four floors up, where I lost balance and started gliding towards the edge, but I managed to get a hold before I fell down.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
#1 is the lie, yes, but no, I haven't written any.

Gad said:
Then you should consider it. :smile:

I agree!

DennisN said:
Really fun! :smile:

Well, there are no toilet seats in my stories, but I tried to come up with some weird stuff to ponder:

1. I tried to pass customs with a newly hot-wired car, and I was brought into custody for four hours, and had to strip naked in front of the police.

2. I've accidentally set a house on fire with fireworks I made myself.

3. I have a Nazi Christmas calendar from 1941 in pristine condition, and a Nazi party badge.

4. I've been on an icy roof four floors up, where I lost balance and started gliding towards the edge, but I managed to get a hold before I fell down.

Dennis, remind me not to eat or drink while I'm reading your posts...you nearly killed me just now.

Wow. Hard decision, but I'm going to guess #2.

lisab said:
Wow. Hard decision, but I'm going to guess #2.

Amazing. You guessed right :smile:.

1. The car was hot-wired because the ignition-starter switch (I think that's the correct term) had broken down a couple of miles before customs. So they took me and my friend into custody and searched (for drugs, I suppose) the entire car with dogs and gear. I remember I heard them disassemble a lot of stuff on the car. Actually it was a bit extra distressing, since we had been to Amsterdam, and I got afraid that someone else maybe had planted something in the car. But they found nothing, so there were no problems.

2. Lie. I've never made my own fireworks, nor burnt down any house.

3. True. Got the calendar from a German friend who collect historical stuff, I was very happy, since I'm interested in history. I'm not sure if the Nazi party badge actually is authentic, but it looks authentic. I bought it from some antique shop.

4. True. This was of course a terrible experience, and I don't know why I was so stupid that I went up on an icy roof. The roof was actually not very slanted, but it was enough to make me glide towards the edge on all fours.

Last edited:
DennisN said:
Amazing. You guessed right :smile:.

1. The car was hot-wired because the ignition-starter switch (I think that's the correct term) had broken down a couple of miles before customs. So they took me and my friend into custody and searched (for drugs, I suppose) the entire car with dogs and gear. I remember I heard them disassemble a lot of stuff on the car. Actually it was a bit extra distressing, since we had been to Amsterdam, and I got afraid that someone else maybe had planted something in the car. But they found nothing, so there were no problems.

2. Lie. I've never made my own fireworks, nor burnt down any house.

3. True. Got the calendar from a German friend who collect historical stuff, I was very happy, since I'm interested in history. I'm not sure if the Nazi party badge actually is authentic, but it looks authentic. I bought it from some antique shop.

4. True. This was of course a terrible experience, and I don't know why I was so stupid that I went up on an icy roof. The roof was actually not very slanted, but it was enough to make me glide towards the edge on all fours.

Nice, they all made me laugh! Especially the customs story. Customs officers can be so bull-headed :biggrin:.

I've gone already - Gad, why don't you go next!

Goodness, I don't think I fit among your posts guys. I'm just going to ruin the excitement of this thread.. I have to tell three true things. :biggrin:

I'll go again, to show Gad the stuff doesn't have to be remarkable:

1.) I own at least 11 different versions of The Goldberg Variations.

2.) I own at least 11 different packages of photo paper.

3.) I own at least 11 different dividers.

4.) I own at least 11 different hammers.

Lol Zshoe.

What would you do with 11 hammers? :biggrin:

Gad said:
Lol Zshoe.

What would you do with 11 hammers? :biggrin:
Make em dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, zoobyshoe, you're an artist IIRC, so I'd guess you've got various photo papers and dividers. Maybe hammers too. so I'd guess

zoobyshoe said:
1.) I own at least 11 different versions of The Goldberg Variations.

is a lie.

zoobyshoe said:
Make em dance:

Very cool. I was going to guess that one as well, but since I didn't have to waste my wrong guess, I'll try another. #3. Why would anyone have 11 dividers? I'm assuming you mean the metal pointy kind.

The paper one for me.

Sorry everyone, I went to sleep shortly after my last reply.

Gad guessed right: I don't have 11 hammers. The video link was just to explain what someone might do with 11 hammers. I do have 5 hammers, though.

I have so many dividers because some are for machine shop and some for art.

Gad's turn.

I had a good laugh @ the hammers dance answer. OK Zshoe, I'll follow your steps :p

1- I had a car accident 10 weeks ago.
2- I didn't blink for a straight 10 minutes.
3- A needle stayed inside my foot for at least 10 days.
4- 10 guys asked for my hand.

Guess the lie. :biggrin:

Gad said:
I had a good laugh @ the hammers dance answer. OK Zshoe, I'll follow your steps :p

1- I had a car accident 10 weeks ago.
2- I didn't blink for a straight 10 minutes.
3- A needle stayed inside my foot for at least 10 days.
4- 10 guys asked for my hand.

Guess the lie. :biggrin:

This made me lol!

Can't say why, but I think the lie is 2.

That's right! :)

Gad said:
That's right! :)

I knew you were a heartbreaker :wink:.

OK, I'll try to think of something:

1. I once literally ran into a moose.
2. I have a very poor sense of taste due to a tongue injury.
3. I slipped and fell on a banana peel in front of a crowd of people when I was in middle school.
4. I have had an iPhone for over 5 years, yet have never bought an app.

lisab said:
1. I once literally ran into a moose.
2. I have a very poor sense of taste due to a tongue injury.
3. I slipped and fell on a banana peel in front of a crowd of people when I was in middle school.
4. I have had an iPhone for over 5 years, yet have never bought an app.

Numbah 3.

I think #2 is the lie. Lisa has several times mentioned fondness for certain foods over the years.

I don't think that it's number 1 unless she hit one in the last five days. I'll round out the guesses with number 4. No apps for you lisab! :tongue:

Borg said:
I don't think that it's number 1 unless she hit one in the last five days. I'll round out the guesses with number 4. No apps for you lisab! :tongue:
You can only guess one.

Evo said:
Nope, #1 is also true. Sorry, I corrected above, #3 is false. I did learn CPR, luckily never had to use it.

Next!

Hi Evo! I just noticed this thread and saw the 4 things you wrote about yourself (with #3 false). I'm wondering what happened with #1 and #2, as both would make for a great story!

zoobyshoe said:
You can only guess one.
I meant that I didn't think that number 1 was the lie because she had already stated that it was true. I have no idea why I wrote that sentence the way that I did. :redface:
I'm sticking with number 4 as the lie.

Psinter said:
Numbah 3.

You're right, #3 is a lie.

I ran into a moose while racing one of my brothers down the driveway in the middle of the night.

I severely burned my tongue drinking "free" coffee at Jiffy Lube, and it was never the same. I still love food, though!

And I just don't see the point of apps...does that make me a Luddite?