Mechanistic analysis of lambertian and isotropic radiators

In summary, the concept of lambertian emitters and isotropic emitters can be confusing, but can be better understood by thinking about practical examples. A lambertian emitter emits less photons as the angle of emission gets further from the surface normal, while an isotropic emitter emits the same number of photons in all directions. A sphere, although commonly considered an isotropic radiator, can also exhibit lambertian properties. However, when multiple isotropic radiators are combined, the resulting emission pattern may not be isotropic.
Centrefuge
Hello Physics Forums
I need a little help wrapping my head around the concept of lambertian emitters as compared to isotropic emitters.

As I understand it a lambertian emitter emits less and less photons as the angle of emission gets further and further away from the surface normal. An isotropic emitter however emits the same number of photons in all directions.

The idea of a lambertian emitter has been a little confusing to me mathematically, but I've found it is a very intuitive concept when thought of in practical terms. A piece of paper will look just as white when viewed from any angle, because it is a lambertian surface. However, when viewed from an oblique angle the apparent size of the piece of paper will be smaller. The same brightness and smaller area compound to a smaller number of photons being emitted into oblique angles.

All examples of isotropic radiators I have found so far are spheres. A sphere appears to be the same size when viewed from any angle. So, even if a sphere is a lambertian emitter it appears to be isotropic.

So I'm wondering, if a surface was composed of lambertian spheres (for instance sand) would it exhibit a lambertian or an isotropic emission profile? Intuitively it would of course still be a lambertian emitter, because its apparent surface area would decrease at oblique angles. But why does the emittance of all these isotropic radiators add up to a non-isotropic pattern?

Thanks for your input, and happy 4th of July!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"All examples of isotropic radiators I have found so far are spheres. A sphere appears to be the same size when viewed from any angle. So, even if a sphere is a lambertian emitter it appears to be isotropic. "

This reasoning sounds wrong. If it is, it should answer your question.

What is the purpose of mechanistic analysis in studying lambertian and isotropic radiators?

The purpose of mechanistic analysis is to understand the physical mechanisms and behaviors of lambertian and isotropic radiators. By studying the underlying mechanisms, we can gain insights into how these radiators work and how they can be optimized for various applications.

What is the difference between lambertian and isotropic radiators?

Lambertian radiators have a directional emission pattern, meaning that they emit more light in certain directions than others. On the other hand, isotropic radiators emit light equally in all directions. This is due to the different physical properties and structures of these radiators.

How does the shape of a radiator affect its performance?

The shape of a radiator can greatly impact its performance. For example, a curved or irregularly shaped surface can cause light to scatter in different directions, resulting in a non-uniform emission pattern. On the other hand, a flat and smooth surface can produce a more uniform emission pattern.

What factors can influence the efficiency of a lambertian or isotropic radiator?

The efficiency of a radiator can be influenced by various factors, including the material it is made of, the shape and surface texture, the wavelength of the emitted light, and the environmental conditions. These factors can affect how the radiator absorbs, reflects, and emits light.

How are lambertian and isotropic radiators used in practical applications?

Both lambertian and isotropic radiators have various practical applications. Lambertian radiators are commonly used in lighting and imaging applications, while isotropic radiators are often used in communication systems and radar technology. These radiators can also be found in solar panels, sensors, and other electronic devices.