How to get capacitance from potential FEM

In summary: You are not in this situation. The plates are not made of a polymer, and the charge will not behave differently when you apply a potential difference among the plates.
rinale84
Hi guys,
I hope this is the correct section otherwise I apologize :).The goal is to find the capacity of a non linear capacitance composed by an upper plate which has a cup shape and the lower plate which is flat.
The problem is the following: by means of a FEM simulation of the Poisson equation I was able to find the potential but once I got it how can I get the capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org
C = Q/V

You still need the charge.
If it is not immediately available, you need to calculate it:
- the field at the surface gives the charge density
- summing over the whole surface will provide Q

Excuse my silly question I don't remember why the electric filed at the surface gives the surface charge density..thank u very much

Not exactly the electric field but the divergence of electric field. Thats the differential form of gauss law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_law#Differential_form

Since you have the potential, it is the laplacian of the potential that gives the charge density.

PS i don't remember how to calculate the laplacian for numerical data.

Last edited:
I think some function in MATLAB will be helpful... But the integration of the chrage density should be performed on the volume and not on the surface!Am i wrong?

I am not sure I am in this situation the plates of the capacitor are made of a polymer and inside the two plates we have water. Above the polymer there is a layer of conductive material on which we apply the potential...Besides how the charge will behave when i apply a potential difference among the plates? The water should polarize am I wrong? Sry if I forgot this fundamental detail before...

Last edited:

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

How is capacitance related to potential in Finite Element Method (FEM)?

In FEM, capacitance is determined by the potential difference between two conductors or electrodes. The higher the potential difference, the higher the capacitance.

What is the formula for calculating capacitance in FEM?

The formula for capacitance in FEM is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the amount of charge, and V is the potential difference.

What factors affect the capacitance in FEM?

The capacitance in FEM is affected by the distance between the electrodes, the dielectric constant of the material between the electrodes, and the geometry of the electrodes.

How can I use FEM to accurately measure capacitance?

FEM can be used to accurately measure capacitance by creating a numerical model of the system and solving for the potential difference between the electrodes. This can be done using specialized software such as COMSOL or ANSYS.