Real-world application of Active Stabilization Tanks in Ships

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Active Stabilization Tanks (A.S.T's) in ships and the search for specific examples of real world applications. The individual is looking for examples of ships that use pumps to input energy into a pipe system to move water and reduce roll in rough seas. They have found plenty of examples of passive systems, but are interested in the efficiency of active systems and if they use too much fuel. They are also seeking any additional help or information on the topic.
mart7x
Does anyone know any specific examples of real world application of Active Stabilization Tanks in a ship? I just need a link to an article or just a name of ship IF one exists.

I have been doing some research into A.S.T's and I am desperate to find out if the concept has been manufactured. I am looking in particular looking for an example of where a ship uses pumps to input energy into a pipe system that moves water across the breadth of a ship to damp the roll in rough seas.

I have found plenty of examples of passive systems, but I am wondering if active systems would use too much fuel to be efficient.

Thanks for any help,

Martin

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the purpose of using Active Stabilization Tanks in Ships?

Active Stabilization Tanks are used in ships to reduce the rolling motion caused by waves and rough seas. This helps to improve the stability and comfort of the ship for passengers and crew.

2. How do Active Stabilization Tanks work?

Active Stabilization Tanks use advanced technology and sensors to detect the motion of the ship and calculate the optimal amount of water needed to be pumped in and out of the tanks to counteract the rolling motion. This helps to keep the ship stable and minimize the effect of waves.

3. What are the benefits of using Active Stabilization Tanks?

Some of the main benefits of using Active Stabilization Tanks include improved passenger and crew comfort, reduced risk of seasickness, and improved safety by maintaining stability in rough seas. This can also help to reduce fuel consumption and improve the overall efficiency of the ship.

4. Are Active Stabilization Tanks used on all types of ships?

Active Stabilization Tanks are typically used on larger ships, such as cruise ships and cargo ships, that are more susceptible to rolling motion. However, they can also be used on smaller vessels, such as yachts, to improve stability and comfort for passengers.

5. How does the use of Active Stabilization Tanks impact the environment?

The use of Active Stabilization Tanks can help to reduce the amount of fuel consumed by a ship, which in turn reduces emissions and the overall environmental impact. However, the tanks themselves require energy to operate and may also release small amounts of oil and other pollutants into the ocean. Thus, proper maintenance and disposal practices are important to mitigate any potential negative effects on the environment.