Exploring Citric Acid in Drinks & Fruits

In summary, citric acid is an intermediate in the metabolic TCA cycle, so it is not just specific to fruits. It is a high-energy compound, so maybe it is present in fruits in high amounts as a "reward" to the animal for dispersing the plant's seeds through defecation. It is also a prochiral compound, which makes it interesting.Limes also make limonene (responsible for the lime-smell) and lemons make lemonene, both a just steroisomers of the same compound. Limonen is a terpene that is made through isoprene biosynthesis. The isoprenes come from mevalonate, a 6-carbon compound that doesn't
jenil_nz
hi,
iam doing a investigation in my chemistry class. this investigation is totally independent & there is very little help available frm the teachers. so for the investigation they have given some suitable topics on which i can do my practical & other stuff. the topic i choosed is CITRIC ACID IN DRINKS/FRUITS.

one of the question iam not sure abou8 is WHY CITRIC ACID EXISTS IN LEMON?
the other question is DOES THE AMOUNT OF CITRIC ACID CHANGES OVER A PERIOD OF TIME & IF DOES THEN HOW?

if any1 know something abou8 this topic pls try 2 answer my question.
thanks

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
citric acid is an intermediate in the metabolic TCA cycle, so it is not just specific to fruits. it is a high-energy compound, so maybe it is present in fruits in high amounts as a "reward" to the animal for dispersing the plant's seeds through defecation.

citric acid is also a prochiral compound, which makes it interesting.

limes also make limonene (responsible for the lime-smell) and lemons make lemonene, both a just steroisomers of the same compound. limonen is a terpene that is made through isoprene biosynthesis. the isoprenes come from mevalonate, a 6-carbon compound that doesn't look like its too far away from citric acid, so maybe there is a link there, i don't know. limonene has various properties (antibacterial, etc.)

Last edited:
AFAIK it is at the peak amount of citric acid in the fruit when the fruit is @ its ripest.

limes also make limonene (responsible for the lime-smell) and lemons make lemonene, both a just steroisomers of the same compound. limonen is a terpene that is made through isoprene biosynthesis. the isoprenes come from mevalonate, a 6-carbon compound that doesn't look like its too far away from citric acid, so maybe there is a link there, i don't know. limonene has various properties (antibacterial, etc.)

hi thanks for replyin but the thng u told me can u please explain me in bit simpler form because i didnt understand but thanks again for sort of helping me out

hi ,wats the molecular formula of citric acid is it H3C6H5O7 or C6H8O7

jenil_nz said:
hi ,wats the molecular formula of citric acid is it H3C6H5O7 or C6H8O7

what you have posted is the same thing...

here is a page on citric acid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

1. What is citric acid and how is it used in drinks and fruits?

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and oranges. It is commonly used as a preservative and flavoring agent in drinks and fruits due to its sour taste and ability to enhance other flavors.

2. What are the health benefits of consuming citric acid in drinks and fruits?

Citric acid has antioxidant properties and is a good source of vitamin C, which can boost the immune system and promote healthy skin. It also aids in digestion and can help improve the absorption of other nutrients in the body.

3. Are there any side effects of consuming citric acid in drinks and fruits?

In general, citric acid is considered safe for consumption. However, consuming large amounts of citric acid may cause stomach discomfort or increase the risk of tooth erosion. It is important to consume citric acid in moderation.

4. How can I tell if a drink or fruit contains citric acid?

Citric acid is commonly listed as an ingredient on food labels. It may also be listed under its chemical name, "2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid". Alternatively, you can taste for a sour or tart flavor, as citric acid is responsible for the sour taste in drinks and fruits.

5. Can I use citric acid in drinks and fruits for cooking or cleaning purposes?

Yes, citric acid can be used in cooking as a natural preservative and flavor enhancer. It can also be used in cleaning products as a natural alternative to chemical cleaners. However, it is important to use citric acid in the appropriate amounts and to avoid ingesting it directly in its concentrated form.