Why is the magnitude of the electric field equal in all cases?

In summary,There is a series of circles inside each other. A central metal ball, two spherical metal shells, and three spherical Gaussian surfaces of radii R, 2R, 3R, all with the same center. The uniform charges on the three objects are: ball, Q; ssmaller shell, 3Q; Larger shell, 5Q. Rank the Gaussian surfaces according to the magnitude of the electric field at any point on the surface, greatest first. The image is attached.
mr_coffee
Theres a series of circles inside each other. A central metal ball, two spherical metal shells, and three spherical Gaussian surfaces of radii R, 2R, 3R, all with the same center. The uniform charges on the three objects are: ball, Q; ssmaller shell, 3Q; Larger shell, 5Q. Rank the Gaussian surfaces according to the magnitude of the electric field at any point on the surface, greatest first. The image is attached.I don't get it because The electric field outside a spherical shell of charge with raidus R and total charge q is directed radially and has a mag of: E = 1/[4piEo] (q/r^2);

So I ignored the 1/[4piEo] because they all will have that, the only difference is the charge and radius. So...
I ended up getting Q/R^2; 3Q/4R^2; 5Q/9R^2; How can these be equal? :bugeye:

Attachments

• gaussian.jpg
    gaussian.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,250
Physics news on Phys.org
you're forgetting to add the charges. the charge enclosed by the first surface is Q, that'd right. But the charge enclosed by the second surface is Q (ball) + 3Q (first shell) = 4Q. The charges enclosed by the third one is Q + 3Q + 5Q = 9Q. So you see, after cancelation of numerator and denominator, they are equal.

Can you please tell us the magnitude of the radius of the respective metal ball and the two shells. Your image is yet to be approved.

you're forgetting to add the charges. the charge enclosed by the first surface is Q, that'd right. But the charge enclosed by the second surface is Q (ball) + 3Q (first shell) = 4Q. The charges enclosed by the third one is Q + 3Q + 5Q = 9Q. So you see, after cancelation of numerator and denominator, they are equal.

That is not correct. The charges are resting 'on' the surface of the respective shells and the metal ball . The charge enclosed by the first shell is simply Q , while 4Q is being enclosed by the outermost shell. While the metal ball which is a solid sphere has charge Q uinformly distributed along its volume.

BJ

I'm not talking about the surfaces enclosed by the ball and shells, but the charge enclosed in the gaussian surfaces, which I imagined to be placed in such ways that the problem had the simple solution I wrote.

quasar987 said:
I'm not talking about the surfaces enclosed by the ball and shells, but the charge enclosed in the gaussian surfaces, which I imagined to be placed in such ways that the problem had the simple solution I wrote.

You should have referred to the Gaussian Surface in your first post, anyway I apologise :approve: . Let's first see the image (yet to be approved) , what it says , and then we can discuss it better.

BJ

hey guys, did the image get approved? I'm wondering which is the right way to solve this. THanks for the responces. Can you guys see this image?
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5221/gaussian7ha.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Brendo
yes the image showed up and I had guessed it right.

awesome thanks for the help! :biggrin:

1. Why is it important to have the magnitude of the electric field equal in all cases?

Having the magnitude of the electric field equal in all cases ensures that there is consistency in the behavior of electric charges. This allows for accurate predictions and calculations in various electrical systems and phenomena.

2. What is the significance of the magnitude of the electric field being independent of the source charge?

This means that the electric field strength at a particular point is solely determined by the distance from the source charge and not affected by the charge itself. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to understand the behavior of electric fields.

3. How does the magnitude of the electric field affect the force experienced by a charge?

The magnitude of the electric field determines the strength of the force experienced by a charge. The greater the electric field strength, the greater the force on a charge placed in that field.

4. Is the magnitude of the electric field always the same at every point in space?

No, the magnitude of the electric field can vary at different points in space depending on the presence and distribution of other charges. However, in a uniform electric field, the magnitude will be the same at all points.

5. How is the magnitude of the electric field related to the potential difference between two points?

The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the potential difference between two points. The higher the electric field strength, the greater the potential difference between the two points.