Proving Sum of Combinations: nCr=2^n

In summary: This conversation is about proving the identity: \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{n!}{k!\left(n-k\right)!}=2^{n}. The discussion involves looking at Pascal's Triangle and its relationship to the binomial theorem, as well as using combinatorial arguments and induction to prove the identity. While it may be difficult to prove symbolically, there are ways to show the identity is believable, such as the geometric argument and the fact that it is equivalent to (1+x)^n evaluated at x=1. In summary, the conversation explores various approaches to proving the given identity, emphasizing the use of combinatorial arguments and induction.
amcavoy
I was just wondering how you would prove the following:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{n!}{k!\left(n-k\right)!}=2^{n}[/tex]

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its easy to see once you know where to look. Look at pascals triangle. What is the value of the sum of all the numbers in each row equal to? Perhaps 2^n...where n is the row...

Now what does that binomial theorem have to say about combinations and pascals triangle again?

Do you see where to go from here?

Just so you know, what I am talking about is how you can show that your equation is believable but to prove it you would have to show all the details...

Last edited:
I see what you are saying about Pascal's Triangle. However, I would like to know if there is a way to prove this symbolically, rather than just seeing that it works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help.

combinatorially [itex]\binom{n}{k}[/itex] which is the summand is the number of ways of choosing k objects (order unimportant) from n or the number of subsets fo size k of n objects.

you are adding these up from 0 to n.

so you are finding the total number of subsets of a set of size n. this is obvisouly 2^n

it may also be proved by induction or by noting it is the binomial expansion of (x+y)^n for x=y=1

alexmcavoy@gmail.com said:
I see what you are saying about Pascal's Triangle. However, I would like to know if there is a way to prove this symbolically, rather than just seeing that it works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help.

If what you're asking is for a way to prove the identity directly...good luck.

The first time I realized that sum was equal to 2^n I went to trying to prove the identity like what you're asking. I never could...

But good luck to you.

As a side note, proving it the way matt grime said is just as good as any other way. After all, can you prove [tex]sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1[/tex] symbolically? You could...perhaps...but it's no better than a geometric argument. And I think the geometric proof is more useful in the sense that you have a geometric understanding of why the identity is true.

Regards,

Last edited:
hopefully i gave a solution that is more explanatory than "jsut look at pascal's triangle" ie it explains why the rows add up to 2^n rather than just saying they do.

Yes of course. Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

You can also see that the sum is just equal to [tex](1+x)^n[/tex] evaluated at x=1

but i said that one too in one of the three proofs i gave...

matt grime said:
but i said that one too in one of the three proofs i gave...

Yes, but to the casual observer such things may not be so clear...thus, it never hurts to be explicit from time to time. :smile:

matt grime said:
combinatorially [itex]\binom{n}{k}[/itex] which is the summand is the number of ways of choosing k objects (order unimportant) from n or the number of subsets fo size k of n objects.

you are adding these up from 0 to n...
...to find the number of ways of selecting any number of objects out of n given objects. (ie: you can pick 0 objects or 1 object or 2 objects or...or all n objects).

so you are finding the total number of subsets of a set of size n. this is obvisouly 2^n
Alternatively, you can think of this as assigning to each of the n objects, one of 2 labels, namely "chosen" and "not chosen". The total number of ways of assigning labels is hence 2^n, and this is exactly the process of choosing any number of objects.

Last edited:
You can prove Sum(nCk,k=0,1..n)=2^n as a straight summation problem by induction on n. It works for n=0 then assume it is true for n-1. Since 2^(n-1)+2^(n-1) = 2^n expand out the summations and rearrange terms and show (n-1)C(k-1)+(n-1)Ck=nCk Where nCk=n!/k!/(n-k)! and note that nC0=(n-1)C0=nCn=(n-1)C(n-1)=1.

1. What is the formula for the sum of combinations?

The formula for the sum of combinations is nCr = 2^n, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula can be derived using the binomial theorem, which states that the sum of all binomial coefficients in the expansion of (x + y)^n is equal to 2^n. Since nCr represents the binomial coefficient, it can be substituted into the formula to give nCr = 2^n.

3. Can this formula be applied to any number of items and chosen items?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any number of items and chosen items. As long as the values of n and r are whole numbers, the formula will hold true.

4. What is the importance of this formula in mathematics?

This formula is important for calculating the total number of combinations or possibilities in a given situation. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to determine the likelihood of certain events occurring.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this formula?

Yes, this formula can be applied to real-world scenarios such as in genetics, where it can be used to calculate the number of possible gene combinations in offspring. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as password cracking or creating unique identifiers.