Why does the slope of a graph representing Ohm's Law equal the resistance value?

In summary, Ohm's Law states that the voltage is directly proportional to the current in a resistor. This was observed in a graph where the slope was a straight line. The slope of the line, which represents the resistance, can be calculated using the equation V = IR. The slope remains the same throughout the line if it passes through the origin. The slope can also be seen as conductance if the graph is plotted with current as the vertical axis. The age of a resistor does not significantly affect its properties unless it has been abused.
jsalazar
I know that according to Ohm's Law that the voltage is directly proportional to the current in a resistor. Upon examing my graph that I have calculated in class, a resistor follows Ohm's Law because the slope was a straight line. The part I am confused about is why would the slope be equal to the resistance value? All I can think of is that since the slope increases when the voltage and current increases, then the resistance value increases as well if the resistance value is equal to the voltage/current. Is this correct? Also, would the age of a reisistor have any affect on calculating my data?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of a line is y = mx, replace y with Voltage, m with Resistance and x with Current and you get Ohm's Law's proportionality, V = IR. I is your independant variable, V your dependant, and R is the proportionality constant, or your slope.

the slope of a straight-line graph an any region
is the rise divided by the run .
If the line passes through the origin (0,0) , then
the slope of the line is the SAME all along it.
(the *line* gets *longer* with more extreme data,
but does not get *steeper* or shallower)

If you plotted
Voltage (vertical axis) vs Current (horizontal axis)
then the slope is Resistance.
If you plotted I vs V , the slope is conductance.
If R increases, then conductance decreases.

- - - - -
Resistors age pretty well, unless they're "abused".
In a college lab-room, abused resistors are common
unless specifically checked and sorted before lab.
Usually, "bad" resistors are within a factor of 2
of what they're supposed to be,
or else they become infinite or zero resistance.

What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to resistors?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This means that as the voltage increases, the current increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

What is the equation for Ohm's Law?

The equation for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for other variables, such as I = V/R for current and R = V/I for resistance.

What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm, which is represented by the symbol Ω. One ohm is equal to one volt per ampere (V/A).

How does the resistance of a material affect the flow of current?

The resistance of a material directly affects the flow of current. Materials with higher resistance will limit the flow of current, while materials with lower resistance will allow for a larger flow of current. This is because materials with high resistance require more energy to move electrons, while materials with low resistance allow electrons to move more easily.

What factors can affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, its length and cross-sectional area, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. For example, longer materials will have higher resistance due to the increased distance the electrons have to travel, and thinner materials will have higher resistance due to the reduced cross-sectional area for electron flow. Temperature can also affect resistance, as most materials have higher resistance at higher temperatures.