Uncovering the Mechanics of Life: Exploring Molecular Assemblies and DNA Design

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecular
In summary, Molecular assembly can create an exact copy of a cell at the atomic level. This raises the possibility of creating synthetic life.
sniffer
i have been reading articles on molecular assemblies and dna design.

my question is: if we take one simple living cell, and using molecular assembly we can create exactly the same copy of that cell (precisely to the atomic level), then will the cell be alive?:bugeye:

thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
sniffer said:
if we take one simple living cell, and using molecular assembly we can create exactly the same copy of that cell (precisely to the atomic level), then will the cell be alive?:bugeye:

Yes. But that's a very big 'if' you've stated.

We can make completely synthetic catalytic RNA's. this is a step towards making synthetic life. Craig Venter is (I believe) working on a project to create something like a synthetic bacterium. I am not sure how much of his project involves (artificial) molecular assembly.

sniffer said:
i have been reading articles on molecular assemblies and dna design.

my question is: if we take one simple living cell, and using molecular assembly we can create exactly the same copy of that cell (precisely to the atomic level), then will the cell be alive?:bugeye:

thanks.

Well, how many people are like me and reading this before getting to the "thanks" part says to themselves, "why hell yes!". I don't know. Maybe it's just me.:smile:

Perhaps I should qualify: I'm a biologist interested in chemistry but I'm really a Chemist interested in biology. Go figure. Anyway, I suppose you'd expect a "bio-chemist" to take such a "mechanical" vision of life like this.

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Well, how many people are like me and reading this before getting to the "thanks" part says to themselves, "why hell yes!". I don't know. Maybe it's just me.:smile:

Perhaps I should qualify: I'm a biologist interested in chemistry but I'm really a Chemist interested in biology. Go figure. Anyway, I suppose you'd expect a "bio-chemist" to take such a "mechanical" vision of life like this.

i don't think that is at all unreasonable. a chemist realizes that there is no difference between buying Advil or the generically-labelled bottle of "Ibuprofen".

what is life, if not sophisticated mechanics? this, in my opinion, has been on of the greatest contributions of biochemistry - linking structure with function. There has been already been a great deal known about the macroscopic functions of life, but with the advent of radiolabeling, x-ray crystallography, etc. we can determine what is going on at the nano length scale.

examples: the proteosome, ATP synthase, DNA polymerase. Are these not beautiful machines? it is intriguing to consider the possibilities of what additional types of machinery could be engineering if we understood more about the structure-function relationship than we presently do.

1. What are molecular assemblies?

Molecular assemblies refer to the process of arranging individual molecules in a specific pattern or structure to form a larger, functional unit. This can occur naturally in biological systems or can be artificially created in a laboratory setting.

2. How are molecular assemblies formed?

Molecular assemblies are formed through various chemical interactions between individual molecules. These interactions can include covalent bonding, hydrogen bonding, van der Waals forces, and electrostatic interactions.

3. What are the applications of molecular assemblies?

Molecular assemblies have a wide range of applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and drug delivery. They can be used to create new materials with unique properties, develop more efficient drug delivery systems, and improve the performance of electronic devices.

4. Can molecular assemblies be controlled?

Yes, molecular assemblies can be controlled through precise manipulation of individual molecules and their interactions. This allows scientists to design and create specific structures with desired properties.

5. How do molecular assemblies contribute to our understanding of biological systems?

Molecular assemblies play a crucial role in the functioning of biological systems. By studying and understanding how molecules come together to form larger structures, we can gain insights into biological processes and develop new treatments for diseases.