What are the unknowns in this nuclear reaction sequence?

In summary: An alpha particle might be the answer. In summary, an alpha particle is extra energy that is supplied by kinetic energy.
AStaunton
Hi there

problem is:

given the following nuclear reaction sequence, determine X and Y:

[tex]_{9}^{15}N+_{1}^{1}H\rightarrow_{8}^{16}O+\gamma[/tex]

[tex]_{8}^{16}O+_{1}^{1}H\rightarrow_{9}^{17}F+X[/tex]

[tex]_{9}^{17}F\rightarrow_{8}^{17}O+Y+\nu_{e}[/tex]

My Attempted answer is:

As far as I can see, Y must be a [tex]e^{+}[/tex] in order to balance with the [tex]\nu_{e}[/tex] in the equation. But I am in doubt about this as the above way I am think is beta+ emission, however I read that the way of decay of fluorine-17 is electron capture so I don't know how to reconcile this.

Regarding what X is, I am not sure...I do not think it can be a [tex]\gamma[/tex] as binding energy per nucleon of oxygen 16 is greater than that of fluorine 17..I don't see how it can be a lepton as the lepton number seems to be balanced already...

Any feedback on my queries for X and Y is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
AStaunton said:
Hi there

problem is:

given the following nuclear reaction sequence, determine X and Y:

[tex]_{9}^{15}N+_{1}^{1}H\rightarrow_{8}^{16}O+\gamma[/tex]

[tex]_{8}^{16}O+_{1}^{1}H\rightarrow_{9}^{17}F+X[/tex]

[tex]_{9}^{17}F\rightarrow_{8}^{17}O+Y+\nu_{e}[/tex]

My Attempted answer is:

As far as I can see, Y must be a [tex]e^{+}[/tex] in order to balance with the [tex]\nu_{e}[/tex] in the equation. But I am in doubt about this as the above way I am think is beta+ emission, however I read that the way of decay of fluorine-17 is electron capture so I don't know how to reconcile this.

Regarding what X is, I am not sure...I do not think it can be a [tex]\gamma[/tex] as binding energy per nucleon of oxygen 16 is greater than that of fluorine 17..I don't see how it can be a lepton as the lepton number seems to be balanced already...

Any feedback on my queries for X and Y is appreciated

Hi !

I agree with Y must be a e^(+) (positron).

Because with Soddy's Law you have: For protons: 9 = 8 + Y + 0 <=> Y = 1
And for nucleons you have: 17 = 17 + Y + 0 <=> Y = 0
It's a positron !

Try to use my method.

Good luck ! :D

AStaunton said:
Extra energy can be supplied by kinetic energy, since the H impinges on the O.

What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, causing a change in the identity of the atom.

What is the difference between a nuclear reaction and a chemical reaction?

A nuclear reaction involves changes to the nucleus of an atom, while a chemical reaction involves changes to the arrangement of electrons in an atom.

What are the types of nuclear reactions?

The two main types of nuclear reactions are fission, which involves splitting a nucleus into smaller fragments, and fusion, which involves combining two or more nuclei to form a larger nucleus.

What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy released during a nuclear reaction. This energy can be harnessed and used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants.

What are the potential risks associated with nuclear reactions?

The main risks associated with nuclear reactions are radiation exposure, which can be harmful to living organisms, and the potential for nuclear accidents or meltdowns. Proper safety measures and regulations are in place to minimize these risks.