Solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework: A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fermi nuclear model and its application in a hypothetical situation where the only difference between protons and neutrons is their magnetic moment. The goal is to find a formula connecting the Fermi energy and momentum of protons with that of neutrons. By equating their Fermi energies and using the given information, equations are derived for both the Fermi energy and momentum of the two particles.
Sebastian

Homework Statement

This question is about the Fermi nuclear model (see Das & Ferbel page 56 or http://www.e12.physik.tu-muenchen.de/stud/vorlesungen/fabbietti/WS2007/Lecture3.pdf" ). Let the nucleon mass be [itex]m[/itex], the number of nucleons be [itex]A[/itex] and the number of protons be [itex]Z[/itex]. Assume a hypothetical situation where the only difference between the proton and the neutron is that the proton has magnetic moment [itex]\mu_p[/itex] and the neutron has magnetic moment [itex]\mu_n[/itex]. The nucleus is placed in a magnetic field [itex]B[/itex]. Assume also that the protons and neutrons may align the directions of their magnetic moments such that energy is minimized.

A. Find a formula connecting the Fermi energy of the protons with that of the neutrons.
B. Find a formula connecting the Fermi momentum of the protons with that of the neutrons.

Homework Equations

See link above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the binding energy of a nucleon should be [itex]-\mu B[/itex]. However, I don't see how to continue from here.

PS: I will appreciate a direct answer instead of hints. This is from the material for an exam I'm taking tomorrow, and I'm quite stressed about not being able to solve it. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are having difficulty solving this problem for your exam. Let me try to help you by providing a direct answer.

A. The Fermi energy of a proton and a neutron can be expressed as:

Ep = (p^2/2m) + \mu_pB
En = (p^2/2m) + \mu_nB

Where p is the momentum of the nucleon, m is the nucleon mass, \mu_p and \mu_n are the magnetic moments of the proton and neutron respectively, and B is the magnetic field.

Since we are assuming that the protons and neutrons can align their magnetic moments to minimize energy, we can equate the Fermi energies of the two particles:

Ep = En
(p^2/2m) + \mu_pB = (p^2/2m) + \mu_nB

Solving for p, we get:

p = \sqrt{\frac{2m(\mu_p-\mu_n)B}{1/m}}

Substituting the values for \mu_p and \mu_n from the given information, we get:

p = \sqrt{\frac{2m(\mu_p-\mu_n)B}{1/m}} = \sqrt{\frac{2m(\mu_p-\mu_n)B}{1/m}} = \sqrt{2m(A-Z)B}

Thus, the formula connecting the Fermi energy of the protons with that of the neutrons is:

Ep = En = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{2m(A-Z)B}{2m} = (A-Z)B

B. The Fermi momentum of a proton and a neutron can be expressed as:

Pp = \sqrt{2mEp}
Pn = \sqrt{2mEn}

Substituting the values of Ep and En from part A, we get:

Pp = Pn = \sqrt{2m(A-Z)B}

Thus, the formula connecting the Fermi momentum of the protons with that of the neutrons is:

Pp = Pn = \sqrt{2m(A-Z)B}

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your exam!

1. How do I approach solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B?

The best approach to solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B is to first understand the concepts and equations involved. Then, carefully read through the given problem and identify the given information and what is being asked. Next, use the appropriate equations and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double check your calculations and make sure your answer is reasonable.

2. What are the key concepts I need to know for solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B?

Some key concepts for solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B include nuclear structure, binding energy, and the strong nuclear force. It is also important to understand the equations for calculating nuclear properties such as mass and energy.

3. How do I check if my answer for Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to compare it to the given answer or solution. If your answer is close to the given answer, then it is likely correct. Another way is to plug your answer back into the original equation and check if it satisfies the equation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B?

One common mistake is to use the wrong equation or formula. Make sure to carefully read the problem and identify the given information before using an equation. Another mistake is to forget to convert units, which can lead to incorrect answers. Additionally, make sure to double check your calculations and avoid rounding too early in the problem.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving Fermi Nuclear Model Homework A & B?

One way to practice and improve your skills is to solve practice problems or work on additional problems from your textbook or online resources. Another way is to form a study group with classmates and work on problems together. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.