Back emf and battery emf in RL Circuit

In summary, The back EMF on the inductor cannot be greater than the EMF of the battery in an RL circuit without a capacitor. This is because the effective voltage of the source is given by V_S = \sqrt{V_L^2 + V_R^2} and V_L is always less than or equal to V_S. In the case of an inductive circuit, the inductor will generate enough voltage to maintain the current until the energy stored in the magnetic field is gone. This is why it is important to have a diode to provide a path for the current when the circuit is interrupted.
k5591002
hello all!:smile:

I have a question about electromagnetism.
The question is "Can the back emf ever be greater than the battery emf in RL circuit?"

can someone explain this one for me please?

Likes Mujahid Rasool
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the resistor R and the inductor L are connected in series. As you know the effective V of the source in RLC circuits like this is given by:

[tex]V_S = \sqrt{(V_L - V_C)^2 + V_R^2}[/tex]
(all voltages are effective)

In this case however, we don't have a capacitor so it's actually just:

[tex]V_S = \sqrt{V_L^2 + V_R^2}[/tex]

With some basic operations you can find that:

[tex]V_L = \sqrt{V_S^2 - V_R^2}[/tex]

And therefore the answer is No, the back EMF on the inductor cannot be greater than the EMF of the battery. (This is because there is no capacitor in the circuit, if there was one then it would be possible for the back EMF of the inductor to outgrow the EMF of the battery.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by k5591002
hello all!:smile:

I have a question about electromagnetism.
The question is "Can the back emf ever be greater than the battery emf in RL circuit?"

can someone explain this one for me please?

I'm not sure of your definition of back emf but one thing novice designers of inductive circuits learn the hard way is that when you interrupt the current in an inductor (say by opening a relay or turning off the base drive to a transistor) the inductor will generate whatever voltage is necesary to maintain that current until the energy stored in the mag. field is gone. That's why inductors in switching circuits have a diode across them, to give a path for the current when you turn the transistor off (or open a switch). Putting in a larger transistor just makes for larger fireworks.

1. What is back emf in an RL circuit?

Back emf, or electromotive force, is a voltage that is induced in an inductor when the current through it changes. This voltage opposes the change in current and is proportional to the rate of change of current.

2. How does back emf affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

Back emf can cause a delay in the buildup of current in the circuit due to its opposition to the change in current. It also affects the rate of change of current and the current's amplitude.

3. What is battery emf in an RL circuit?

Battery emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is supplied by the battery to maintain a constant current in the circuit. It is the driving force that overcomes the back emf in the circuit.

4. How does battery emf relate to back emf in an RL circuit?

The battery emf must be equal to or greater than the back emf in order for current to flow through the circuit. If the back emf is greater than the battery emf, the current will decrease until it reaches zero.

5. How can the back emf and battery emf be calculated in an RL circuit?

The back emf can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the voltage induced in an inductor is equal to the rate of change of current multiplied by the inductance of the circuit. The battery emf can be measured directly using a voltmeter.