Chemical attack of amorphous carbon

In summary, the conversation is about ways to chemically attack an amorphous carbon film. The participants discuss using oxygen plasma and a solvant (such as Piranha solution) to remove the film. It is mentioned that a fume hood and protective gear are necessary for using Piranha solution. One participant also suggests using an asher for faster removal of the film. However, another participant points out that it still takes some time to remove the film using oxygen plasma and there is also some time needed for system pump-down. It is also mentioned that a colleague with experience in a-carbon films says it is almost impossible to remove them chemically.
physicist888
Hi everyone,
i wonder if anyone has an idea how to attack chemically an amorphous carbon film. Is it possible to completely dissociate an amorphous carbon in a chemical solvent?
thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
a-carbon is often used as a hard mask in e.g. nanolithography but as far as I know it is then always removed using oxygen plasma (that is what I always used back when I was actually doing some cleanroom work); do you have access to an asher?

Actually it's well known that plasma oxygen attack will remove the a-Carbon. Such expermint take so long, its hard a little, and actually i don't have access to it all the time. that's why i thought that maybe i can etch the a-Carbon chemical attack, by a solvant (acid, base)... don't know

Piranha solution might work. A fume hood and personal protective gear (face mask, nitrile gloves, apron) are absolutely required.

I asked a colleague who has got a lot of experience with films of a-carbon, he tells me that it is almost impossible to remove them chemically.

Why does it take you so long when using oxygen plasma? As far as I remember it only took a few minutes to completely remove all carbon in plasma.
Of course there is also of pump-down time of the system etc but that shouldn't be very long for an asher, you do not need very low pressures for this.

1. What is a chemical attack of amorphous carbon?

A chemical attack of amorphous carbon refers to the reaction or degradation of amorphous carbon materials when exposed to certain chemicals. This process can lead to changes in the structure and properties of the carbon material.

2. What chemicals can cause a chemical attack of amorphous carbon?

Chemicals that are known to cause a chemical attack of amorphous carbon include strong acids, strong bases, and oxidizing agents. These chemicals can react with the carbon material and break down its structure.

3. How does a chemical attack affect the properties of amorphous carbon?

The properties of amorphous carbon can be greatly affected by a chemical attack. This can result in changes in the surface morphology, chemical composition, and mechanical properties of the material. It can also lead to a decrease in its overall stability and durability.

4. What are some common applications of amorphous carbon that are susceptible to chemical attacks?

Amorphous carbon is commonly used in various industrial and technological applications, such as in coatings, electronics, and energy storage devices. These materials can be exposed to chemicals during their use, making them susceptible to chemical attacks.

5. How can a chemical attack of amorphous carbon be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent a chemical attack of amorphous carbon. These include using protective coatings or barriers, choosing materials that are more resistant to certain chemicals, and controlling the exposure of the material to potentially harmful chemicals.