What Would Happen if Usain Bolt Ran at the Speed of Light?

In summary: Can't remember the word. Meh. Thank you for your time!In summary, according to this economist, if Usain Bolt were to approach (c) in a 100m sprint - his mass would become infinite right? Although this is a true statement, it's based on an incorrect equation. Space-time would warp, and light would bend around him due to his high mass-energy. However, nothing would happen to the spectator (stationary) watching him run.
idiotphysics
Help me out please. I need a definitive comment for a book I'm writing. Hypothetically - if Usain Bolt were to approach (c) in a 100m sprint - his mass would become infinite right? basic E=Mc2.

At inifinite mass - space-time would warp (correct?). And light would bend (right?)

Can I say that time will appear to slow down to an observer (spectator) watching Usain in motion?

Note: I am an economist not a physicist. So please don't shoot me down if I have it wrong. Correct me. But I really need a good answer. Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Not an expert in this field either, but
idiotphysics said:
Hypothetically - if Usain Bolt were to approach (c) in a 100m sprint - his mass would become infinite right? basic E=Mc2.

True, but not with this equation. This tells us only that energy and mass are closely related. His mass would follow something like this:

[tex]\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

idiotphysics said:
space-time would warp (correct?). And light would bend (right?)

Not from what I understand of it. The space-time dimension would change for Usain, but not for you that is watching him. For the bendin light, and again from your point of view, it would be hard for light to bend around him, since he would be moving at the same speed.

idiotphysics said:
Can I say that time will appear to slow down to an observer (spectator) watching Usain in motion?

Once again, not from my understanding of the sîtuation. Nothing happened to you, therefore, why would time/space or any other dimension change just because he is running. But these parameters would change for him.

Now, as I said, I am not an expert in relativity. So if I made mistakes, I am also here to learn something new.

Cheers

idiotphysics said:
At inifinite mass - space-time would warp (correct?).
This depends on what you mean by "warp." To me, that word could refer to two different things: (1) The difference in the perception of flat spacetime between two observers in different states of motion. (2) Curvature of spacetime.

If you mean 1, then the answer is yes. If you mean 2, then it depends on the observer. In Bolt's own frame, spacetime is flat. In the frame of an observer watching him run at close to c, Bolt's high mass-energy causes intense gravitational fields, which GR describes in terms of curvature of spacetime.

idiotphysics said:
And light would bend (right?)
This depends on whether "bend" refers to (1) aberration, or (2) bending of light by gravitational fields.

idiotphysics said:
To the spectator, it's the runner's time that appears to slow down, not his own time. To the runner, the spectator's time appears to slow down.

fatra2 said:
True, but not with this equation. This tells us only that energy and mass are closely related. His mass would follow something like this:

[tex]\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
There's nothing wrong with the OP's use of [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] to express this relationship. Depending on conventions about what is meant by the symbol m (rest mass or relativistic mass), your equation and his can give the same result. (As a minor technical point, it isn't really correct to try to use either one of these relationships to find gravitational fields, because in GR the source of the field is the stress-energy tensor, not the scalar mass.)
fatra2 said:
it would be hard for light to bend around him, since he would be moving at the same speed.
He can't move at c. He can only move at a speed close to c.

bcrowell said:
To the spectator, it's the runner's time that appears to slow down, not his own time. To the runner, the spectator's time appears to slow down.

1. So is it fair to say that to a spectator (stationary) it would appear as if Bolt was running through an invisible sticky syrup or slow motion?

2. I read somewhere that for the runner (in this case Bolt) it would seem as if he was standing still (at reast) and if he looked at the crowd - they would be zipping by.

What are the facts please? And my gratitude for your time & interest.

idiotphysics said:
1. So is it fair to say that to a spectator (stationary) it would appear as if Bolt was running through an invisible sticky syrup or slow motion?

Well...this is a bit confused. Of course, from the spectator's view, he's going at incredible speed - close to the speed of light, so not slow motion in this sense. His run would be over in a flash. But it's also true that, from the spectator's point of view, Bolt's wrist-watch, his heart-rate, all the process would be slowed down.

However, one exciting fact that always gets the readers going is the fact that Bolt would look incredibly thin. Moving objects shrink in the direction of motion (in the stationary observer's frame), so Bolt would appear to be incredibly compressed and flattened, probably not even a hair's breadth between his back and front.

2. I read somewhere that for the runner (in this case Bolt) it would seem as if he was standing still (at reast) and if he looked at the crowd - they would be zipping by.

meh - this is just the relativity of motion - the idea that you can treat an object moving with constant velocity as at rest, and other things moving wrt to him. In a sense, this is an everyday experience - just go on a train or a plane and it seems as though the world is zipping by. In practice, there are frictional forces acting on runners which slow them down, and that's why running requires effort. This isn't really particularly relativistic.

What's shocking is that, from Bolt's point of view, it's the audiences clocks that are running slow, and the track that seems to have been length contracted to a hair's breadth. Now, that is relativistic.

1. How fast is the 100m sprint at light speed?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that a 100m sprint at light speed would take approximately 3.33564095 × 10^-7 seconds.

2. Is it possible for a human to run at light speed?

No, it is not possible for a human to run at light speed. The speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel, according to the theory of relativity.

3. How does the speed of light compare to the speed of sound?

The speed of light is significantly faster than the speed of sound. While light travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

4. What is the significance of 100m in relation to the speed of light?

The 100m distance is commonly used in track and field events, and it is also a commonly used unit of measurement when discussing the speed of light. It is approximately one hundred million times slower than the speed of light.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, there are some theories and experiments that suggest the existence of particles that may travel faster than light, but this has not been definitively proven.