Normal force/Static & Kinetice Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a block resting on a horizontal table and a horizontal force being applied to it. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are also mentioned. The question is whether the block will move and what its acceleration will be. The conversation goes on to mention using the formula F=ma and drawing a free-body force diagram to determine the forces acting on the block. It is established that the coefficient of kinetic friction should be used and that the mass of the block is 4.59 kg. The conversation ends with a reminder to draw a force diagram.
pinky2468
Ok, here is the question, which I thought was easy at first but...
A block whose weight is 45.0N rests on a horizontal table. A horizontal force of 36.0N is applied to the block. The coefficients of the static and kinetic friction are 0.650 abd 0.420 respectively. Will the block move under the influence of the force and if so what wiil be the block's acceleration?
(u=the coefficient)
I used the fs=us(Fn)= .650(45.0N)= 29.3N
fk=uk(Fn)= .420(45.0)N= 18.9N

I know that this will make the box move, but I am a little confused on where to go from here. Do I use F=MA?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body force diagram. Show all the forces acting on the block. Any resultant force in a given direction will cause an acceleration given by F = ma, in that direction.

When the block is moving, which coefficient should you use, static or kinetic ?

I should use the coefficient of kinetic friction. Also since W=mg, do I divide the weight by 9.80 to get the mass?

pinky2468 said:
I should use the coefficient of kinetic friction. Also since W=mg, do I divide the weight by 9.80 to get the mass?

Yes, you have to see if the force applied will overcome static friction, if it does it will move, and friction is less strong

I am not getting the right answer when I use M=W/g to get 4.59kg and then a=F/m
should I use 18.9/4.59? It does not give me the right answer of a=3.72m/s(sqr)

When you say F = ma, F represents the resultant force in some direction. In this case, we are interested in the horizontal direction.

What are all the forces in the horizontal direction ? What is their resultant ?

You MUST draw a force diagram, else you'll get nowhere.

PS : m = 4.59 kg is correct.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts as a support force to prevent the object from falling through the surface.

2. How is normal force related to static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object on a surface when there is no relative motion between the two. The normal force plays a crucial role in determining the maximum value of static friction. It is equal in magnitude to the normal force and acts in the opposite direction, preventing the object from sliding.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest on a surface, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the object and the surface. Kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction, as it only needs to overcome the force of inertia to keep the object moving.

4. How is the coefficient of friction related to normal force?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the relationship between the force of friction and the normal force. It is equal to the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force, and it varies depending on the materials in contact and their surface characteristics.

5. How can we reduce friction in a system?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or introducing rolling motion instead of sliding motion. Another approach is to reduce the normal force by using lighter objects or distributing the weight over a larger area.