Term-wise Differentiation of Power Series

In summary, the conversation is about creating a tutorial on transcendental functions. The author wants to introduce the exponential function and the natural logarithm, and also include a proof of term-wise differentiation of power series. They are asking for help finding a concise online proof or for someone to contribute one. They also mention the need for both the original and differentiated series to converge uniformly for the proof.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For those who don't know I'm writing a tutorial (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139690") in the tutorials forum. I have come to the point of introducing Transcendental functions. I would like to introduce the exponential function first (via the Taylor series) and then present the natural logarithm as it's inverse. Although not entirely necessary, I would like to present a concise proof of term-wise differentiation of power series in the tutorial.

If anyone knows of a concise online proof, or even better, would be willing to contribute a proof directly, please let me know, either in this thread or via PM.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that it follows from the linearity of differentiation

Because you are talking about an infinite series, you also need the fact that a power series converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence.

HallsofIvy said:
Because you are talking about an infinite series, you also need the fact that a power series converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence.
Is it necessary that both the original and differentiated series converges uniformally, I thought that the original series need only converge?

Last edited:

1. What is term-wise differentiation of power series?

Term-wise differentiation of power series is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a power series. It involves differentiating each term of the series separately and then combining the results to get the derivative of the entire series.

2. Why is term-wise differentiation of power series used?

Term-wise differentiation of power series is used because it allows us to find the derivative of functions that are not easily differentiable using traditional methods. It is particularly useful in finding the derivatives of functions represented by infinite series.

3. How is term-wise differentiation of power series performed?

To perform term-wise differentiation of power series, we first differentiate each term of the series using the rules of differentiation. Then, we substitute the original values of the variable back into the differentiated terms and combine them to get the derivative of the entire series.

4. Can term-wise differentiation of power series be applied to all power series?

No, term-wise differentiation of power series can only be applied to power series that are infinitely differentiable. This means that the derivative of the series can be found by differentiating each term of the series separately.

5. What are the applications of term-wise differentiation of power series?

Term-wise differentiation of power series has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to find the derivatives of functions represented by infinite series, as well as in solving differential equations and approximating values of functions.