Static Electricity discharge question

In summary, when static electricity causes a "sting", it is due to a phenomenon called Crown Discharge where the tension between two points separated by air exceeds a certain value and the air becomes a conductor, allowing charges to move through it. The sting is caused by the energetic electrons that may kill some cells, resulting in a pain sensation due to the activation of bare nerve endings in the skin. However, the current density of static electricity discharges is generally too low to cause significant harm to cells. Further research is needed to fully understand the specific mechanisms behind pain perception through electrical stimulation.
Red_CCF
Why is it that someone who discharges static electricity feels a sting but the person who is receiving the static electricity doesn't feel anything?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
That's not true actually. Many times i felt the sting while the other also did. Anyhow, let's get into what really happens when this static electricity causes "stings". This is called Crown Discharge and happens when the tension between two point separated by air overpasses a certain value (relatively high) then the air becomes a conductor and so the charges move trough it. The sting felt is due to the electrons them selves as they are quite energetic and kill some cells what makes you feel the little sting.

Any correctios are welcome :)

Zaphys said:
That's not true actually. Many times i felt the sting while the other also did. Anyhow, let's get into what really happens when this static electricity causes "stings". This is called Crown Discharge and happens when the tension between two point separated by air overpasses a certain value (relatively high) then the air becomes a conductor and so the charges move trough it. The sting felt is due to the electrons them selves as they are quite energetic and kill some cells what makes you feel the little sting.

Any correctios are welcome :)

How does the electrons gain energy? And does electrons kill cells as they arrive or leave someone

Red_CCF said:
And does electrons kill cells as they arrive or leave someone
In order to kill a cell you need a certain current density. Static electricity discharges have a very high voltage, but a very low current, so they generally won't kill cells significantly.

But enough to make you feel a little sting. In the certain region where the spark is produced the current density is quite high. But it's "instantaneous" (very very sudden) therefore no more harm is caused.

Hang on, this is a bit more involved, I think.

Clearly, damaging the epidermal skin layer (which is mainly dead keratin) is different from triggering a sensory nerve. Apparently, one can produce a pain sensation by applying a localized electrical stimulus (Bishop, Physiol. Rev 26, 77-102, 1946), but I don't know if the specific mechanism has yet been elucidated.

So does skin cell usually get killed in the person who discharges causing the sting? If so how does that work because I've tried to shock other people but I've always felt the sting while the other person said they didn't feel anything

Andy Resnick said:
Hang on, this is a bit more involved, I think.

Clearly, damaging the epidermal skin layer (which is mainly dead keratin) is different from triggering a sensory nerve. Apparently, one can produce a pain sensation by applying a localized electrical stimulus (Bishop, Physiol. Rev 26, 77-102, 1946), but I don't know if the specific mechanism has yet been elucidated.

Pain perception is through bare nerve endings in the dermis of the skin. It would take only a very tiny stimulus to "trigger" them without any damage, and static electricity qualifies.

1. What causes static electricity discharge?

Static electricity discharge is caused by an imbalance of electric charges on the surface of an object. This imbalance is usually due to friction between two materials, such as rubbing a balloon against your hair.

2. Is static electricity discharge dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity discharge is harmless and may only cause a brief shock or spark. However, in certain situations such as in the presence of flammable gases, it can be a serious fire hazard.

3. How can I prevent static electricity discharge?

To prevent static electricity discharge, you can try to reduce the friction between materials by using anti-static sprays or by wearing clothing made of natural fibers. You can also try to ground yourself by touching a metal object before coming into contact with sensitive equipment.

4. Why do I feel a shock when I touch a metal object after walking on carpet?

This is because walking on carpet can create a build-up of static electricity on your body. When you touch a metal object, the excess charges are discharged, resulting in a shock.

5. Can static electricity discharge damage electronic devices?

Yes, static electricity discharge can damage sensitive electronic devices by causing a surge of electricity that can disrupt or even destroy their circuitry. This is why it is important to ground yourself and handle electronic devices with care to prevent static electricity discharge.