Problem deal with accuracy of thermocouple

In summary, if you are taking measurements with a thermocouple and you get a value that is different than what you expect you should minus 1.1 degrees Celsius from the recorded value in order to account for accuracy.
soonsoon88
How i am going to confirm or make sure the accurate of thermocouple before i use it for measurement in experiment?
Is it ok if ...
I put it in ice in order to get 0 Celsius and put in boiling water to get 100 Celsius?
In the idea case, i should get 0 and 100 Celsius from thermometer..
but what i should do if i got slightly different ?
I don't know how to present about the error if i use it for real experiment...i need help on it...please..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just go and see what you get with ice and boiling water. That is a great idea to start with.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Just go and see what you get with ice and boiling water. That is a great idea to start with.

I did a try already..i got a slightly higher for ice. 1.1 Celsius..
If like this..
this mean i have to minus 1.1 Celsius for all value by using that device ?

If you need something more accurate than +/- 1.1 deg. C, use a thermistor or RTD. Don't use your TC's for that application. As far as results go, you should have some specs on that specific thermocouple that say what the accuracy of your measurements are. For example, +/- 1.5 deg over the range of 40 deg C - 375 deg C. Consider checking out OMEGA's website for typical errors for a thermocouple class.

If you need to present the temperature in a chart, simply plot the recorded values and add a foot note that shows the accuracy limitations. However, if you are taking the temperature measurements and using them to plot something as a function of temperature you probably need to adjust the accuracy accordingly. Google error propagation.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Unless you're at altitude.

That should be a mixture of ice and water to get 0, but make sure that you are using pure water, your other source of trouble is your cold junction reference how accurate is that?

What is a thermocouple?

A thermocouple is a type of temperature sensor that measures the difference in temperature between two points by using two dissimilar metals. It works based on the principle of the Seebeck effect, which states that when two metals are connected at different temperatures, a voltage is generated.

How does a thermocouple work?

A thermocouple works by using two different metals, typically copper and constantan, which are connected at two points. When there is a difference in temperature between the two points, a voltage is generated, which can then be converted into a temperature reading. The accuracy of the thermocouple depends on the materials used and the calibration of the device.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a thermocouple?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a thermocouple. These include the type of metals used, the temperature range being measured, the type of insulation used, and the condition of the thermocouple. Additionally, the accuracy can also be affected by external factors such as electromagnetic interference and humidity.

How can the accuracy of a thermocouple be improved?

There are a few ways to improve the accuracy of a thermocouple. One way is to use higher quality materials for the thermocouple wires. Another way is to calibrate the thermocouple regularly to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, using proper insulation and shielding can also improve the accuracy of the thermocouple.

What are the common applications of thermocouples?

Thermocouples have a wide range of applications in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, food processing, and pharmaceuticals. They are commonly used for temperature measurement and control in ovens, furnaces, engines, and other heating or cooling processes. They are also used in scientific research and experiments.