Shooting basketballs into a basketball hoop using projectile motion

In summary: It may not make a huge difference, but it is more accurate to take into account all factors. In summary, the conversation discusses designing a robot that shoots basketballs into a hoop using projectile motion and taking into account factors such as air resistance and drag. The equations for projectile motion and drag of spheres are suggested to be used in the design process. It is noted that the weight of the ball and the distance of the shot may affect the accuracy of the calculations.
ksafin
Hi,

I need to design a robot that shoots basketballs into a basketball hoop.

My original idea was that the robot will auto-target on the hoop. The hoop has reflective tape around the "square" behind it, which the robot can locate.

Now, when the robot locates this square, it can calculate the height it is from the hoop, the distance lengthwise, etc.

So I was considering using projectile motion to calculate what angle to recline our shooting mechanism at, how much to rotate & in which direction, as well as how fast to fire in the ball, in order to automatically fire and make it into the hoop.

I've taken a general physics course but the projectile motion we learned was more for learning purposes and would be less than accurate if I apply it in this situation.

My question to you, is what equation or set of equations and calculations, should I use to determine all of these factors, taking into account natural factors, of say, air resistance and drag, and excluding external factors such as other robots interfering with the ball mid-flight?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ksafin said:
Hi,

I need to design a robot that shoots basketballs into a basketball hoop.

My original idea was that the robot will auto-target on the hoop. The hoop has reflective tape around the "square" behind it, which the robot can locate.

Now, when the robot locates this square, it can calculate the height it is from the hoop, the distance lengthwise, etc.

So I was considering using projectile motion to calculate what angle to recline our shooting mechanism at, how much to rotate & in which direction, as well as how fast to fire in the ball, in order to automatically fire and make it into the hoop.

I've taken a general physics course but the projectile motion we learned was more for learning purposes and would be less than accurate if I apply it in this situation.

My question to you, is what equation or set of equations and calculations, should I use to determine all of these factors, taking into account natural factors, of say, air resistance and drag, and excluding external factors such as other robots interfering with the ball mid-flight?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

The equations that apply are the kinematic equations of motion for a constant acceleration (gravity). Are you familiar with those equations? They are pretty straighforward in their algebraic form. You can learn more about them with a search at wikipedia.org.

EDIT -- to a first approximation you can use the simple equations for projectile motion that you say you have learned already. The secondary corrections will help a little, but really not a lot. A basketball is not retarded by air resistance very much, and to the extent that it is, you can add that in later as you fine tune your shooting percentage.

Sounds good!

Yes I learned the basic algebraic kinematic equations for projectile motions, they were the ones I was referring to.

Sounds good; the ball is only 300 grams, much lighter than an actual basketball; it's actually a foam ball.

So air resistance is almost negligible?

ksafin said:
Sounds good!

Yes I learned the basic algebraic kinematic equations for projectile motions, they were the ones I was referring to.

Sounds good; the ball is only 300 grams, much lighter than an actual basketball; it's actually a foam ball.

So air resistance is almost negligible?

For a regular basketball, mostly yes. For a lighter ball at 3-point distances, no. But get the shorter shots right first, and then you can add in more complicated shot equations taking air resistance into effect.

I think that the projectile motion pages at wikipedia.org discuss air resistance some, but I'm not sure.

Air resistance for spheres has been studied for a long time and the equation of motion for spheres is a well studied equation.
There is some information on drag of spheres and their equations of motion here:
http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/crcd/me437/downloads/

I recommend sections 02, 1_1,1_2 and 1_3
Note that it doesn't matter what the size of the sphere is, the equation of motion stays the same (some sections talk about aerosols, which tend to be quite small).

EDIT: I would definitely include drag into the equation, especially when using a lighter ball.

1. How does projectile motion affect shooting a basketball into a hoop?

Projectile motion is the curved path a basketball takes when it is shot into a hoop. This motion is influenced by the initial speed and angle at which the ball is launched, as well as the force of gravity. Understanding projectile motion is important for accurately shooting a basketball into a hoop.

2. What is the optimal angle for shooting a basketball into a hoop?

The optimal angle for shooting a basketball into a hoop is 45 degrees. This angle allows the ball to travel the farthest distance with the least amount of force, making it easier to reach the hoop. However, the optimal angle may vary depending on individual shooting styles and factors such as wind resistance.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a basketball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a basketball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences resistance which slows it down and causes it to deviate from its intended path. This is why basketball players must adjust their shots to account for air resistance, especially when shooting from longer distances.

4. Why is it important to calculate the initial velocity when shooting a basketball?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which the ball is launched, is a crucial factor in determining the trajectory of a basketball. Without knowing the initial velocity, it is difficult to accurately predict where the ball will land. Calculating the initial velocity is essential for achieving a successful shot.

5. Can other factors, such as spin, affect the trajectory of a basketball?

Yes, other factors such as spin can affect the trajectory of a basketball. When a basketball is spun, it creates a gyroscopic effect which can affect its flight path. For instance, when a basketball is spun backwards, it will tend to curve towards the right for right-handed shooters and towards the left for left-handed shooters. Understanding how spin affects the ball's trajectory can help players adjust their shots accordingly.