Register to reply

Stress and strain, maximum applied force before permanent deformation/breakage

by wolfpack11
Tags: applied, force, maximum, permanent, strain, stress
Share this thread:
wolfpack11
Jun19-12, 06:00 PM
P: 4
Compute the maximum longitudinal force that may be supported by a bone before breaking, given that the compressive stress at which bone breaks is 2.00e8 N/m^2. Treat the bone as a solid cylinder of radius 1.55 cm

. The attempt at a solution
I tried using the equation Max Torque = pi/4 * (r^3) * max stress. Plugged in 0.0155 m for "r" and 2.00e8 N/m^2 for max stress, got 585 N*m for torque, then divided again by 0.0155 m to get the Force (377000 N). This answer wasn't accepted into webassign. What am i missing in the problem solving?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
PhanthomJay
Jun19-12, 10:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,038
You are calculating max torque or moment due to bending stresses, but the problem is asking, perhaps not too clearly, for max axial (longitudinal) load based on allowable axial stress. Instead of using bending stress = M/S, try using axial stress = P/A.
wolfpack11
Jun20-12, 11:09 AM
P: 4
Ok. If P is the compressive force, and A is the cross-sectional area that the force is applied to, I would think that A= ∏*r^2 for the surface of the cylinder. Then, multiplying A by the maximum stress 2e8 N*m^2 would yield P?

PhanthomJay
Jun20-12, 03:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,038
Stress and strain, maximum applied force before permanent deformation/breakage

Yes.

Register to reply