Maximum Stress on a Beam: Solving Homework Question 2 with the M/I Formula

In summary, the question is asking how to find the maximum bending stress on a beam that is under 3 point loading, and is also to remain a solid rectangle.
eddievic

Homework Statement

My Question paper is listed under attachement Question 2

Homework Equations

M/I = σ/y

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is as per Q 2 attachment.

What I am looking for is to see if I am on the right track. I'm worried that the units seem to change and therefore i may be making a mistake purely with my arithmetic .

Could a kind sole chekc I'm working in the right method and perhaps point me in the right direction for further reading on this subject as I am unsure of how to proceed with question d

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Q 2.pdf
    297.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Question 2.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you thought you were calculating, but it was not the maximum bending moment.

After determining the end reactions, draw the shear force diagram. Using this, construct the proper BM diagram. Pick the maximum BM.

Sorry to disagree with steamking but I thought it was correct, but not well-expressed. You can check it by taking moments to the left of the 10 load, and to the right. The values should agree. To answer d, you need to consider the sensitivity of stress to the breadth and depth. If you have expressions for the bending stress that should speak for itself and you could progress.

Thanks for your reply I'll see if I can progress with this problem.:)

Bending moment HELP

Can anyone help me to figure out this one
I have no clue
Trying to find the bending moment of this beam
is related to bending moment in cracked beams
all I know is σ=Mc/I how do I approach this
Thanks

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 498
First of all, how is the beam loaded? You can't determine the BM unless you know the loading.

The beam is under 3 point loading

SteamKing said:
First of all, how is the beam loaded? You can't determine the BM unless you know the loading.

Ignore this

Last edited:
And this . .

Last edited:
Also, your answer for 2c, shouldn't it relate to stress in the beam, and not the bending moment? The diagram looks correct but the numbers don't.

I'm not an expert so any help would be appreciated :)

can i have some advice on my original question on section(d)

I just need help understanding what the question is asking on the first bullet point is the question just asking to add 20% to the dimension of the beam and then work out the maximum bending stress?

on the second point it states the beam section is to remain a solid rectangle (what does this mean exactly?)

If you change your formula fro stress so that, instead of y and I, you have an expression with b and d, each to some power, you will be able to see the sensitivity of stress the the parameters b and d. As the AREA can be increased by 20%, that implies that the questioner believes that b and d are not necessarily to be increased by the same percentage.
quote: "on the second point it states the beam section is to remain a solid rectangle (what does this mean exactly?)" end quote. What do you detect are the possibilities for variation of meaning?

I think I am on the right track now. make a new cross sectional area so existing is 20000mm^2 and then add 20% so 240000mm^2

so new beam will be 240mm d * 100 mm b
and then find the maximum stress this beam can take

I increased the d as the beam is supporting a load so its better to increase the thickness.

quote "I increased the d as the beam is supporting a load so its better to increase the thickness."
Correct to increase d but for a different reason from the one you give. The reason you give would just as equally apply to the breadth of the beam? Maybe you didn't express yourself precisely? Look again at the formula for stress. Rearrange it so that M is by itself on the left hand side. For a fixed value of maximum stress, vary d by say 20% and see how M is affected. Then vary b by 20% and see how M is affected by that. Draw conclusion.

pongo38 said:
quote "I increased the d as the beam is supporting a load so its better to increase the thickness."
Correct to increase d but for a different reason from the one you give. The reason you give would just as equally apply to the breadth of the beam? Maybe you didn't express yourself precisely? Look again at the formula for stress. Rearrange it so that M is by itself on the left hand side. For a fixed value of maximum stress, vary d by say 20% and see how M is affected. Then vary b by 20% and see how M is affected by that. Draw conclusion.

Ok thanks for your help with this topic it was much appreciated :)

Hi
Am new to the forum, but as regards to the original question of the second moment of area I.
Should this be the second moment of area for a rectangle Ixx = bd^3/3?
The formula being used is for second moments of area about an axis passing through the centroid, Ixx=bd^3/12?

Last edited:
mamike1515 said:
Hi
Am new to the forum, but as regards to the original question of the second moment of area I.
Should this be the second moment of area for a rectangle Ixx = bd^3/3?
The formula being used is for second moments of area about an axis passing through the centroid, Ixx=bd^3/12?

Ixx = bd^3/3 is the second moment of area for a rectangle about one of the edges of the rectangle.

In order to calculate the bending stress in a cross section, σ = My/I, the second moment of area, I, must be calculated about the centroid of the cross section, which is also the location of the neutral axis. The bending stress at the neutral axis is zero, by definition, and the variable y in the bending stress formula indicates the distance from the neutral axis at which the bending stress is calculated. The bending stress increases with distance from the neutral axis.

Hi Steamking

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look through my notes and realize that the formula for calculating the stress uses the second moment of area with the neutral axis, so Ixx=bd^3/12.
Again thanks for the confirmation

1. What is the M/I formula and how is it used to calculate maximum stress on a beam?

The M/I formula, also known as the flexural formula, is used to calculate the maximum stress on a beam that is subject to bending. It takes into account the moment of inertia (I), which is a measure of the beam's resistance to bending, and the maximum bending moment (M) acting on the beam. The formula is given by σ = M*c/I, where σ is the maximum stress, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia.

2. What information do I need to calculate the maximum stress on a beam using the M/I formula?

To use the M/I formula, you will need to know the maximum bending moment acting on the beam and the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area. The bending moment can be calculated by considering the external loads and supports acting on the beam. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the dimensions and material properties of the beam.

3. Can the M/I formula be used for all types of beams?

Yes, the M/I formula can be used for all types of beams, including rectangular, circular, and I-shaped beams. However, the formula assumes that the beam is made of a homogeneous material and that the stress is distributed uniformly across the cross-section of the beam.

4. How does the maximum stress on a beam change when the distance from the neutral axis changes?

The maximum stress on a beam is directly proportional to the distance from the neutral axis. This means that as the distance from the neutral axis increases, the maximum stress also increases. Therefore, the maximum stress will be highest at the top and bottom of the beam, where the distance from the neutral axis is the greatest.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum stress on a beam besides the bending moment and moment of inertia?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the maximum stress on a beam. These include the type of loading on the beam (e.g. point load, distributed load), the material properties of the beam (e.g. modulus of elasticity, yield strength), and the beam's geometry (e.g. length, cross-sectional shape). These factors should be taken into account when using the M/I formula to calculate the maximum stress on a beam.