Register to reply

Why is there cold wind?

by tony1grendel
Tags: thermodynamics, wind
Share this thread:
tony1grendel
Jul9-13, 10:54 AM
P: 2
So awhile ago I was thinking about wind.

Sometimes wind is hot but when I think of wind I usually think of cold wind.
Wind seems to be fast moving particles and I know based on the kinetics theory of gases

[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{3}{2}kT [/tex]

Maybe, I'm making a wrong assumption but to me this seems that if a particle of gas has a high KE and high v that it will have a high T

So why would there be cold wind. Shouldn't all high velocity wind be hot?

Through my investigation of this I have gotten some info on how wind is created.

From what I can gather

The sun heats the earth unevenly
The atmosphere of the earth that is getting heated
and the hot air rises because it becomes less dense

(here is where I get a little confused and maybe making wrong assumptions)

this causes less pressure in that area of the atmosphere
causing nearby particles of air to fill the uneven pressure (partial vacuum the rising hot air created?)

and so you have wind!

To me it seems if the gases filling the uneven pressure have a low T that it would seem plausible that we would have cold wind BUT wouldn't that air over time heat up because of it's increase in KE?

I know this looks like a wall of text now but this is my thought process
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
russ_watters
Jul9-13, 11:18 AM
Mentor
P: 22,288
Welcome to PF!

1. Bulk motion is not included in the temperature.
2. Can you calculate at what speed, the KE would make a noticeable difference if converted to heat?
SteamKing
Jul9-13, 11:43 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,475
Also, the pressure of the atmosphere is not evenly distributed at any one time. If a region of low pressure develops, a portion of the atmosphere from a region of higher relative pressure will move in. This movement will also create wind.

CWatters
Jul9-13, 02:09 PM
P: 3,135
Why is there cold wind?

Sometimes wind is hot but when I think of wind I usually think of cold wind.
Clothes and hair trap a layer of warm air next to your skin. Wind can remove this layer of warm air making it feel colder than it would otherwise.

More..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill
D H
Jul9-13, 02:48 PM
Mentor
P: 15,155
Quote Quote by tony1grendel View Post
Wind seems to be fast moving particles and I know based on the kinetics theory of gases

[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{3}{2}kT [/tex]

Maybe, I'm making a wrong assumption but to me this seems that if a particle of gas has a high KE and high v that it will have a high T
You're right. You are making a wrong assumption. Velocity and energy are frame-dependent quantities -- change the frame of reference and you get different velocities, different kinetic energy. So in which frame are those velocities expressed? The answer is that it is a rest frame of the gas, a frame in which the total momentum is zero.

In other words, wind velocity doesn't come into play in determining temperature in the kinetic theory of gases.
rcgldr
Jul9-13, 05:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,109
Quote Quote by CWatters View Post
Clothes and hair trap a layer of warm air next to your skin. Wind can remove this layer of warm air making it feel colder than it would otherwise.
There's also the effect of evaporation if a person is sweating, and the effect of relative humidity.

If the air temperature is around 100F ~= 38C or higher, the wind will make it fill hotter still.

http://www.zunis.org/at_least_theres_a_breeze.htm

Register to reply