AP Physics Lab Ideas for High School

In summary, a friend of mine suggested testing different factors of physics in a home-made calorimeter. These could include thermodynamics, kinetics, and mechanics.
123HI
hi, I'm in the AP Physics for high school, and I've been wondering about an idea about constructing a lab... i need some things i can test, because the assignment is to create a lab on your own w/e it is... (kinematics, thermo, w/e AS LONG AS it's not electrical or uses wires)... any suggestions on what to test?

Physics news on Phys.org
calorimetry?

home-made calorimeter... you can measure the final temp and check it with a theoretical calculation based on [tex] Q=mc\Delta T[/tex]

If you feel like it you could do Newton's law of cooling as well. It is the same experiment, but you have different measurements and calculations.

Valhalla said:
home-made calorimeter... you can measure the final temp and check it with a theoretical calculation based on [tex] Q=mc\Delta T[/tex]

If you feel like it you could do Newton's law of cooling as well. It is the same experiment, but you have different measurements and calculations.

that seems good, but i did it in school already... ihmm i need to make a LAB DESIGN and get the materials and actually test out my lab... this needs to be a quantitative lab not qualitative... hmm i was thinking of doing a foucault pendulum, but it would be rather hard to do that in school...

My friend just did a wind tunnel with his son for a Science Fair project. The son is in grammar school, so it was a pretty simple setup and experiment. But at the AP high school level, you could have some serious fun. Maybe google wind tunnel stuff to see if that might be practical. Smoke trails, wing geometries, laminar flow versus separation versus lift...cool stuff!

Last edited:
berkeman said:
My friend just did a wind tunnel with his son for a Science Fair project. The son is in grammar school, so it was a pretty simple setup and experiment. But at the AP high school level, you could have some serious fun. Maybe google wind tunnel stuff to see if that might be practical. Smoke trails, wing geometries, laminar flow versus separation versus lift...cools stuff!
seems like a fantastic idea! but now i have to concern about building a wind tunnel... i'll definitely give it some thought... right now I'm also thinking about young's modulus... hmm... ok thanks for your contribution!

1. What are some interesting lab ideas for AP Physics in high school?

Some interesting lab ideas for AP Physics in high school include measuring the acceleration due to gravity using a pendulum, investigating the relationship between force and acceleration using a dynamics cart, and analyzing the motion of a projectile using a projectile launcher. Other ideas include exploring the conservation of energy using a simple harmonic motion experiment and studying the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

2. How can I create a successful AP Physics lab?

To create a successful AP Physics lab, make sure to have a clear objective and hypothesis, follow proper experimental procedures, collect accurate and precise data, and analyze the results using appropriate calculations and graphs. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the physics concepts being studied and to use appropriate equipment and materials.

3. Can I modify existing lab ideas to make them more challenging?

Yes, you can modify existing lab ideas to make them more challenging by changing the variables being studied, adjusting the equipment or materials used, or adding additional components to the experiment. You can also have students design their own experiments based on a given concept or question, which can be a great way to increase the level of difficulty.

4. How can I incorporate real-world applications into AP Physics labs?

To incorporate real-world applications into AP Physics labs, you can choose lab ideas that relate to everyday phenomena or use real-life scenarios as the basis for the experiment. For example, you can investigate the physics of sports by analyzing the trajectory of a basketball shot or studying the forces involved in a car crash. You can also have students research and present real-world applications of the physics concepts being studied in the lab.

5. What safety precautions should I take when conducting AP Physics labs?

When conducting AP Physics labs, it is important to always follow safety protocols and guidelines. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as goggles or lab coats, when handling hazardous materials, using equipment properly and with caution, and being aware of potential hazards in the lab environment. It is also important to have a first aid kit and emergency procedures in place in case of accidents or injuries.