Beautiful/Elegant Mathematics in String Theory

In summary, the conversation on physicsforums discusses the question of whether string theory is based purely on elegant mathematics or empirical evidence. The person asking the question is a freshman in college with a decent background in math and is interested in seeing examples of elegant equations or concepts in string theory. The conversation also includes a list of math courses typically required for understanding string theory, which includes linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics, and more advanced topics such as group theory, differential geometry, and noncommutative geometry.
RisingSun
Hello! First time poster on physicsforums, and I've had a question that I thought would be best addressed here. I'm going to be entering college as a freshman come fall, and I have a pretty decent background in math as well as a strong appreciation for elegant proofs and solutions. So when I read and learned about string theory, it was very interesting and appealing conceptually, but people always lambasted it for being based purely on elegant mathematics instead of empirical evidence, like science was supposed to be (in fact, that's the reason why Richard Feynman wouldn't endorse it). However, the books I read never demonstrated any examples of these beautiful and elegant mathematics. Is there anyone here who can provide some elegant equations or examples that could shed light on the beauty of string theory? Thanks a lot!

P.S. My level is only solid up through all of single variable calc, with some dabbling in random fields, but feel free to put in higher level examples if need be (I hear the math in string theory is exceptionally difficult).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not qualified to make a statement about this, but hey it's late, and I just feel like posting stuff. When you asked about the math that is used in string theory, I became curious. Well after some digging, here is a rundown of the math courses:

Linear Algebra
Euclidean Geometry
Trigonometry
Single Variable Calculus
Multivariable Calculus
Ordinay Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Numerical Methods and Approximations
Probability and Statistics
Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Group Theory
Differential Geometry
Lie Groups
Differential Forms
Homology
Cohomology
Homotopy
Fiber Bundles
Characteristic Classes
Index Theorems
Supersymmetry and Supergravity
K-theory
Noncommutative Geometry

Looks like a lot of fun stuff :eek:

By the way, I got the list from:
https://nrich.maths.org/discus/messages/8577/7608.html?1082032185

I have no idea how qualified the person is that posted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
RisingSun said:
Hello! First time poster on physicsforums, and I've had a question that I thought would be best addressed here. I'm going to be entering college as a freshman come fall, and I have a pretty decent background in math as well as a strong appreciation for elegant proofs and solutions. So when I read and learned about string theory, it was very interesting and appealing conceptually, but people always lambasted it for being based purely on elegant mathematics instead of empirical evidence, like science was supposed to be (in fact, that's the reason why Richard Feynman wouldn't endorse it). However, the books I read never demonstrated any examples of these beautiful and elegant mathematics. Is there anyone here who can provide some elegant equations or examples that could shed light on the beauty of string theory? Thanks a lot!

P.S. My level is only solid up through all of single variable calc, with some dabbling in random fields, but feel free to put in higher level examples if need be (I hear the math in string theory is exceptionally difficult).

First of all, welcome the physics forums!

With all due respect, you don't even come close to the level required to understand even the most simple concepts rigorously. Which is normal for a freshman I might add :smile:

If you really want a shot at it, I'm posting a sort of introduction to string theory on my blog

http://stringschool.blogspot.com

Look for the posting "String Theory Primer".

If you've got any questions, I'll be happy to answer them :biggrin:

@Frogpad : The list looks ok to me. I'm not sure that K-theory and non-commutative geometry is essential, but it is certainly useful. A lot of the "harder" subjects you noted can be easily summed up by the fact that you'd better have an idea about Algebraic Geometry, Topology and Differential Geometry :-)

Last edited:
I just started self studying complex analysis, so I'm a little bit more than a 1/3 of the way down that list. I know what some of the other math is vaugely, but still not really :rolleyes:

I knew string theory required some crazy mathematics, I just wasn't sure how crazy it was... well, you guys take the cake with a list like that :eek:

Anyways, I'm studying electrical engineering so I doubt I'll ever see the majority of that math :) I'll stick with the baby novels, like elegant universe :)

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. How does String Theory relate to mathematics?

String Theory heavily relies on advanced mathematical concepts, such as differential geometry, topology, and algebraic geometry. These mathematical tools are used to describe the behavior and interactions of the strings, as well as the geometry of the extra dimensions proposed by the theory.

3. What makes String Theory mathematically beautiful or elegant?

String Theory is considered to be mathematically beautiful and elegant because it provides a unified framework to explain all the fundamental forces of nature. It also uses complex mathematical concepts to describe the universe in a simple and elegant way.

4. Are there any practical applications of Beautiful/Elegant Mathematics in String Theory?

Currently, there are no practical applications of String Theory. However, the mathematical techniques and concepts used in String Theory have led to advancements in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and algebraic geometry.

5. Is String Theory considered a proven theory?

No, String Theory is still a highly debated and speculative theory. While it has not been proven, it has provided new insights and sparked advancements in both physics and mathematics. Further research and experimentation are needed to validate its claims.