Finding the Truth Set of a Predicate: 1 <= x^2 <= 4, domain: Z

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain Set
In summary, the book did an example of the following: predicate: 1 <= x^2 <= 4, domain: R. There answer was: The truth set is the set of all real numbers x, with the properlty that 1 <= x^2 <= 4, so the truth set is {x e R|-2 <= x <= -1 or 1 <= x <= 2 }. In other words, the truth set is the set of all integers between -2 and -1 inclusive and between 1 and 2 inclusive. The book did an example of the following: predicate: 1 <= x^2 <= 4, domain: Z. There answer was: The truth set is the set of all integers between -2
mr_coffee
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone could check to see if i did this problem correctly.

THe directions are the following: Fid the truth set of each predicate.
predicate: 1 <= x^2 <= 4, domain: Z. Where Z stands for integers and <= stands for less than or equal to.

The book did an example of the following:
predicate: 1 <= x^2 <= 4, domain: R.
There answer was:
The truth set is the set of all real numbers x, with the properlty that 1 <= x^2 <= 4, so the truth set is {x e R|-2 <= x <= -1 or 1 <= x <= 2 }. In other words, the truth set is the set of all real numbers between -2 and -1 inclusive and between 1 and 2 inclusive.

Now for my problem, wouldn't the answer be the exact same thing but instead write:
The truth set is the set of all real numbers x, with the properlty that 1 <= x^2 <= 4, so the truth set is {x e Z|-2 <= x <= -1 or 1 <= x <= 2 }. In other words, the truth set is the set of all integers between -2 and -1 inclusive and between 1 and 2 inclusive.

note: e stands for element of. I need to find the latex for all this so it will be clearer.

Whats the major difference between real numbers and integers anyways?

Thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your approach is technically correct, but you shouldn't leave it like that. The integers is the set of numbers with no fractional part:
{... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...}
The real numbers is the set of numbers that can be represented by an infinite decimal expansion, like 12, 1.9, 1.37373737..., or pi.

So you have the set of all integers between -2 and -1 inclusive or between 1 and 2 inclusive. Can you actually name those integers?

So i could just write:
The truth set is the set of all real numbers x, with the properlty that 1 <= x^2 <= 4, so the truth set is {x e Z|-2 <= x <= -1 or 1 <= x <= 2 }. In other words, the truth set is the set of all integers between -2 and -1 inclusive and between 1 and 2 inclusive. i.e. {-2,-1,1,2} Why isn't 0 included in the integer set?
Thanks for the help! :)edit: is 0 not included because it makes the predicate false? becuas if u plug in 0 for x, 0 is not less than or equal to 1 or less than or equal to 4

Right, {-2, -1, 1, 2}.

thanks again! :biggrin:

1. What is a truth set?

A truth set is a set of values that satisfy a given predicate or statement. In other words, it is the set of all possible solutions for a given equation or inequality.

2. What does "1 <= x^2 <= 4" mean?

This notation represents a compound inequality, which means that both inequalities must be true at the same time. In this case, it means that the value of x squared must be between 1 and 4, including the endpoints.

3. What is the domain of this predicate?

The domain is the set of all possible values for the variable x. In this case, the domain is Z, which represents the set of all integers.

4. How do I find the truth set for this predicate?

To find the truth set, you can start by graphing the inequality on a number line. Then, you can list all the integers between 1 and 4, including 1 and 4, as they are part of the solution set. In this case, the truth set would be {-2, -1, 1, 2}.

5. Can the truth set be written in interval notation?

Yes, the truth set can be written in interval notation as [-2, 2]. This notation represents all the values between -2 and 2, including both endpoints.