Jump Time: Analyzing a Basketball Player's Vertical Leap

In summary, the conversation discusses a basketball player jumping vertically and the time spent in the top 15.0 cm and bottom 15.0 cm of the jump. The acceleration caused by the initial jump and gravity is also mentioned. The formula for calculating the player's height and velocity at different times is provided, and it is suggested to use this to find the time spent in the high and low regions.
physics newb
Here with a question, and I'm a bit crunched for time. I'm also here to learn, too.
A basketball player, standing near the basket to grab a rebound, jumps 76.0 cm vertically. How much total time does the player spend (a) in the top 15.0 cm of this jump and (b) in the bottom 15.0 cm? Does this help explain why such players seem to hang in the air at the tops of their jumps?

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
soooo... do you have nay thoughts on what to do??

stunner5000pt said:
soooo... do you have nay thoughts on what to do??
Not exactly, I guess that's why I'm here. I assume the player will be in his top 15.0 cm for a longer time than the bottom 15.0 cm, since the player has to slow down when he's in the air, reverse his direction, and speed up again (downward).

physics newb said:
Not exactly, I guess that's why I'm here. I assume the player will be in his top 15.0 cm for a longer time than the bottom 15.0 cm, since the player has to slow down when he's in the air, reverse his direction, and speed up again (downward).

can you find the time he will be spending up there, though

can you find his velocity while he is going upward as he enters the upper 15cm?? can you find the velocity when he is coming down thru the 15 cm again??
Hint: what is the acceleration?

I'm not sure that I can answers those. The acceleration is not constant though I know, seeing as it changes direction at some point. Other than that, I'm just about clueless.

physics newb said:
I'm not sure that I can answers those. The acceleration is not constant though I know, seeing as it changes direction at some point. Other than that, I'm just about clueless.
who is causing the acceleration?? and which way does it point?

make sure you are not confusing 'acceleration' with 'velocity'

still confused?.. what does acceleration do then??

The acceleration would be caused by the initial jump upwards? And then gravity pulling him back down?
Acceleration is increasing speed, right?

Acctually acceleration is CHANGING velocity.

OK then, but I'm still not sure what to do next.

With constant acceleration -9.8 m/s2, initial velocity v0, height at time t seconds is x(t)= v0t- 4.9t2 and velocity at time t seconds it v(t)= v0- 4.9t. He will keep going up as long as v(t) is positive, then come back down. That means that he will get to his highest point when v(t)= 0 v0- 4.9t or when t= v0/4.9. Put that into the equation for his height then:
x(t)= v0(v0/4.9)- 4.9(v0/4.9)2= 76 cm and you can solve for v0.
Once you know that, you can find the time it takes him to go from x= 0 to x= 15 (the low 15 cm) and the time it takes him to go from 76-15= 61 cm to 76 cm (the high 15 cm). O course, the time he stays in the "high 15 cm" region will be twice that- up to 76 cm then down to 61 cm again.

1. How do you measure a basketball player's vertical leap?

To measure a basketball player's vertical leap, you will need a measuring tape, a wall or pole, and a chalk or marker. First, have the player stand next to the wall or pole, with their feet flat on the ground and their arm extended straight up. Make a mark on the wall at the highest point they can reach with their fingertips. Next, have the player take a few steps back and stand with their side against the wall. Have them jump as high as they can and mark the wall at their highest point. Measure the distance between the two marks to determine their vertical leap.

2. What is a good vertical leap for a basketball player?

A good vertical leap for a basketball player is typically considered to be around 40 inches. However, this can vary depending on the player's position and level of play. For example, centers and power forwards may have a higher average vertical leap compared to guards and small forwards. Additionally, professional players may have a higher average vertical leap compared to amateur or college players.

3. How does a player's vertical leap impact their performance on the court?

A player's vertical leap can greatly impact their performance on the court. A higher vertical leap allows a player to jump higher and reach for rebounds, block shots, and make dunks. It also allows them to have a quicker first step and be more explosive in their movements, which can be advantageous in driving to the basket or defending against an opponent.

4. Can a player improve their vertical leap?

Yes, a player can improve their vertical leap through specific training and exercises. Jump training, such as plyometrics and strength training, can help increase muscle power and explosiveness, which can lead to a higher vertical leap. Additionally, proper nutrition and rest are important for muscle growth and recovery, which can also aid in improving a player's vertical leap.

5. Are there any factors that can affect a player's vertical leap measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect a player's vertical leap measurement. These include the player's age, gender, height, weight, and overall physical fitness. Additionally, the measuring technique and equipment used can also impact the accuracy of the measurement. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing a player's vertical leap and to account for any potential discrepancies in the data.