Collision of boulder and ice-fishing shack

• Thread starter rabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a boulder slides down a mountain and crashes into an ice-fishing shack on a frozen lake. The question is posed on the velocity of the boulder and shack at the moment of impact and the distance they will slide, taking into account the friction between the shack and rough ice. Calculations are made using the equations m1v1 + m2v2 = v' (m1 + m2) and mgh = 0.5mv^2, and the formula d = E/f may be used to calculate the distance traveled.
rabi
A 55.6 kg boulder sat on the side of mountain beside a lake. The boulder was 14.6m above the surface of lake. One winter night, the boulder rolled down the mountain, directly into a 204 kg ice-fishing shack that was on a frozen lake. What was the velovity of the boulder and the shack at the instant that they began to slide across the ice? If the coefficient of friction between shack and rough ice is 0.392, how far did the shack and boulder slide?
:uhh:

Ok I figured that
m1v1 + m2v2= v' (m1 + m2)

then mgh = 0.5mv^2
(55.6*9.8*14.6) = 0.5*(204+55.6)v^2

I don't know why they are giving us friction for.

Someone please help soon. I have test tommorow!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the friction to calc out the distance traveled.

civil_dude said:
You need the friction to calc out the distance traveled.

I don't know how? Do we use d=E/f

1. How does the collision of a boulder and an ice-fishing shack occur?

The collision of a boulder and an ice-fishing shack can occur in a few different ways. One possibility is that the boulder falls from a nearby cliff or hill and rolls onto the ice, eventually hitting the shack. Another possibility is that the boulder is thrown by a strong gust of wind or by a landslide or avalanche. It is also possible for a boulder to be carried onto the ice by a glacier or river and collide with the shack.

2. Can the collision of a boulder and an ice-fishing shack cause damage?

Yes, the collision of a boulder and an ice-fishing shack can cause significant damage. Depending on the size and speed of the boulder, it can cause structural damage to the shack or even completely destroy it. It can also cause injuries to anyone inside the shack at the time of the collision.

3. How common are collisions between boulders and ice-fishing shacks?

Collisions between boulders and ice-fishing shacks are not very common, but they do occur. They tend to happen more frequently in areas with steep cliffs or rocky terrain, as there is a higher chance of boulders falling onto the ice.

4. Is there a way to prevent collisions between boulders and ice-fishing shacks?

There are a few ways to potentially prevent collisions between boulders and ice-fishing shacks. One option is to avoid setting up a shack near steep cliffs or rocky areas. Another option is to use a boulder or ice shield around the shack to deflect any potential collisions. It is also important to regularly check the surrounding area for any loose boulders that may pose a risk.

5. What should I do if my ice-fishing shack is hit by a boulder?

If your ice-fishing shack is hit by a boulder, the first priority is to ensure the safety of everyone inside the shack. If there are any injuries, seek medical attention immediately. Assess the damage to the shack and determine if it is safe to continue using it. If there is significant structural damage, it is best to remove the shack from the ice and seek repairs or replacement. It is also important to document the incident and report it to the appropriate authorities.