Calculate Elastic Recovery: Dental Technology Course

• Thread starter maha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary: NThen, strain = extension/original, so to work out extension, i caluclate, strain x original length, which gives me 1.041791045 x 10-3 mIn summary, the material will recover 1mm after being subjected to a load of 2356N.
maha
Elastic Recovery-need help please

Hiya
Im doing material science as part of my dental technology course. I've got a question, and I'm fidning it hard to tackle.If anyone can help or set me in the right direction, i would be most grateful

Wire, of diameter 0.46 mm, length 100mm.it is subjected to tensile force of 2356 N, taking it beyond its yield point.
Calculate, in mm, the elastic recovery that would occur upon removal of the tensile load

Info given: Modulas of elasticity 67 GPa
Yield Strength 698 MPa
Tensile Strength 1379 MPa

:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
How do you think you should start?

Ive drawn a diagram so i have a visual representation of what's going on and I've worked out tensile force, by re-arranguing the tensile strenght=max load/ Area.
My answer for that is 720 N

but then i just get stuck as where to go from there :(
Has it got anything to do with resilence?

Thank you for replying

are you sure with the problem statement?, because the wire fails on that load.

The Max load that can be applied before reaching failure is about 229 N.

im a bit confused with what you mean? the question i wrote in the beginning is right, that is what is on my question sheet. how did you work out that the max load is 229N ?

sorry, just understood what you ment, I've worked out tensile stress by re-arranging the stress=force/area formula.

I am really confused as what to do, its baffling me and i don't like it!

Well the solution for elastic recovery will be work out from the Yield Strength, remember assuming the material is linear elastic (Hooke's Law applies) the proportional limit will coincide with its elastic limit, which will be at the yield point (actually close to it). Therefore by using Hooke's Law you can calculate the recovery, but of course there won't be any permanent deformation (residual due to plastic deformation) on the material because under that load the material fails, it breaks.

I got the number by using

[tex] \sigma_{TensileStrength} = \frac{P}{A} [/tex]

Last edited:
Right, i kinda understand you. but we haven't used hooke's law in out work, its been mentioned in notes but no actually formula. but I've found one on the net and tried to use it and got an answer of 2.12 x 10 -5 mm. Any ideas if I am right??

oh is hookes law, modulas of elasticity = stress/strain?
I really appreciate your help :)

maha said:
oh is hookes law, modulas of elasticity = stress/strain?
I really appreciate your help :)

Yes, and good luck!

i've worked it out! yay, thank you so much :)
my answer is 21.16mm

maha said:
i've worked it out! yay, thank you so much :)
my answer is 21.16mm
How did you arrive at that answer? You had the right equation for the stress-strain relationship, but you must look within the elastic range only when determining elastic recovery. Since
[tex]\epsilon_{yield} = \sigma_{yield}/E[/tex] solve
[tex]\epsilon_{yield} = 698MPa/67GPa = .010[/tex]
and since elongation = [tex]\epsilon(L) =\delta(L) = .010(100)[/tex] then the elastic recovery is 1mm. The strain beyond the yield point is unrecoverable. Only the elastic part is recoverable.

Last edited:
PhanthomJay said:
How did you arrive at that answer? You had the right equation for the stress-strain relationship, but you must look within the elastic range only when determining elastic recovery. Since
[tex]\epsilon_{yield} = \sigma_{yield}/E[/tex] solve
[tex]\epsilon_{yield} = 698MPa/67GPa = .010[/tex]
and since elongation = [tex]\delta = \epsilon(L) = .010(100)[/tex] then the elastic recovery is 1mm. The strain beyond the yield point is unrecoverable. Only the elastic part is recoverable.

Hey maha, after i left i didn't check your work, it should be like phantom's with a minor fix.

Okies, I am still a little confused now, so i don't need to calculate tensile strain? So i need to work out the elastic yield, by the equation that phatom jay wrote. But then why has he wrote 'and since elongation = LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. then the elastic recovery is 1mm. The strain beyond the yield point is unrecoverable. Only the elastic part is recoverable.'
I'm sorry if i sound a bit silly :$ I'm usually really good at these

okies, i think i got it. so, to calculate elastic recovery, i can only use the elastic range, so in order to work out elastic strain, i use yield strength/modulas of elasticiy. that gives me an answer of 1.041791045 N
Then, strain = extension/original, so to work out extension, i caluclate, strain x original length, which gives me 1.041791045 x 10-3 m
So answer is 1.04 mm of elastic recovery?

So then , i do not need to calulate the cross-sectional area or the stress value?

Last edited:
okies, i think i got it. so, to calculate elastic recovery, i can only use the elastic range, so in order to work out elastic strain, i use yield strength/modulas of elasticiy. that gives me an answer of 1.041791045 N
Then, strain = extension/original, so to work out extension, i caluclate, strain x original length, which gives me 1.041791045 x 10-3 m

So then , i do not need to calulate the cross-sectional area or the stress value?

No if you have the stress already.

Yes, and remember you had all you needed, unless there was more to the problem than what was posted.

maha said:

hey good luck man
i'm steve horn

1. What is elastic recovery in dental technology?

Elastic recovery is a measure of the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or deformed. In dental technology, elastic recovery is an important factor in determining the suitability of materials for use in dental appliances and devices.

2. How is elastic recovery calculated?

Elastic recovery is calculated by measuring the length of a material before and after it has been stretched, and then using a formula to determine the percentage of recovery. This formula typically involves dividing the change in length by the original length and multiplying by 100.

3. What factors affect elastic recovery?

Several factors can affect elastic recovery, including the type of material used, the amount of stretching or deformation applied, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Additionally, the manufacturing process and any additives or fillers in the material can also impact its elastic recovery.

4. Why is elastic recovery important in dental technology?

Elastic recovery is important in dental technology because it can affect the fit and function of dental appliances and devices. If a material has a low elastic recovery, it may not be able to withstand the forces of chewing and can become deformed or break over time. This can lead to discomfort for the patient and a shorter lifespan for the appliance.

5. How can elastic recovery be improved?

There are several ways to improve the elastic recovery of a material. One way is to use materials with higher elastic moduli, which are more resistant to deformation. Additionally, adjusting the manufacturing process to optimize the material's molecular structure and incorporating reinforcing fibers or fillers can also improve elastic recovery.