What is the Force Exerted by a Gas on a Container Wall?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the force exerted by a gas on one of the walls of a sealed cubical container with specific dimensions and conditions. The formula to be used is F = N/3 * (m * v^2)/d, but the mass and velocity of the gas are not provided. However, the correct numerical answer is 36544 N.
auslmar
The problem I'm working on is verbatim as follows:

"A sealed cubical container 20.0 cm on a side contains three times Avogadro's number of molecules at a temperature of 20.0 degrees Celsius. Find the force exerted by the gas on one of the walls of the container."

So, I would assume that I need to use the formula F = N/3([m * (v^{2} ]/d) , but I'm not seeing the big picture.

Maybe this is a simple problem and I just can't see the forest for the trees, but for some reason, I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

-A. Martin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my understanding, N = Avogadro's constant, m = mass of one mole of the gas, v = velocity of one molecule of the gas, and d = the length of one side of the container, which in this case is 20 cm. Please correct me if I am mistaken about this or if I'm approaching this problem the wrong way.

But, the book provides neither the mass of one mole of the gas or the velocity of the gas. I suppose if they had mentioned which gas it was, I could use the periodic table and other charts to get these values.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I found my answer key.

It says the correct answer is 36544 N, so this implies that they are looking for a real numerical value in Newtons rather a symbolic representation.

What is the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases at a molecular level. It states that gas molecules are in constant, random motion and that their kinetic energy is directly proportional to their absolute temperature.

What are the main assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The main assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases are: 1) Gas molecules are in constant, random motion, 2) The size of gas molecules is negligible compared to the space between them, 3) Gas molecules do not exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other, and 4) Collisions between gas molecules and with the walls of the container are perfectly elastic.

How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain the properties of gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases explains the properties of gases, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, by relating them to the motion of gas molecules. For example, the pressure of a gas is caused by the constant collisions of gas molecules with the walls of the container.

What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of gas molecules. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules also increases, leading to higher velocities and more frequent collisions.

What are the limitations of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in reality. It also does not account for intermolecular forces, which can affect the behavior of real gases. Additionally, the theory assumes that gas molecules are point masses with no volume, which is not entirely accurate.