Car Brake Performance Using Disc-Brake Variations

In summary, the student is looking to use a simple ABS brake system to analyse braking performance. They want to know if there is a better way to analyse the rate of heat dissipated when force is exerted on the disc from the pad friction material.
heiroglif
Hi all,

Im a Mech Eng student getting my 3rd year project underway,

Using a simple ABS Disc Brake system model, i would like to analyse braking performance for calculations obtained with variations of brake pad size, mateial, and also different disc sizes and materials.

My question is...if i were to use simulink/matlab, which models systems with rates of change,

what factor could i analyse to predict braking performance?

My suggestion is to monitor the rate of heat dissipated when force is exerted on the disc from the pad friction material. Would a higher rate of heat dissipation mean better overall braking? or is there a better way to analyse this part of the brake system?

I have all the model equations for each component ready, but I am stuck with what basis to make my analysis.

Thanks..

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main reason to dissipate heat is that metal (Or worse with ABS) rapidly reach a temperature where they structurally fail.
Citreon and Peugeot disks are reknown for warping under heavy but not unexpected use.
I have always written my own Matlab modules as I it is easier to add in additional factors as you go along.
By building an incremental model you can start with friction, force, velocity and then add in affects of heat on the coefficient of friction, Disk thermal mass and terminal temperature etc as you go along.
Remember that different materials act in different nonlinear ways, e.g. carbon fibre braking systems are poor at low temperatures but actually get better with heat before suddenly dropping off.

hi panda,

thanks for your input, indeed, the model would be built in a compound fashion, starting with the speed one is travelling, to the force exerted by the drivers foot. Desirably i would like my model to end with the force exertion on the discs and its effects. My problem is that everytime I've used matlab/simulink (which I am a beginner in) i would have a system comprising of e.g xdot = (2k + b1 + 3...)/m etc.
so I am assuming i will need a similar equation for rate of friction over braking time, and rate of heat disipation over time...

?

1. What is the purpose of studying car brake performance using disc-brake variations?

The purpose of studying car brake performance using disc-brake variations is to improve the overall braking efficiency and safety of vehicles. By testing and analyzing different variations of disc brakes, scientists can identify the most effective design and make recommendations for improvements in the automotive industry.

2. How do disc brakes work?

Disc brakes work by using friction to slow down or stop a vehicle. When the brake pedal is pressed, a hydraulic system forces brake pads to squeeze against a rotating disc (rotor) attached to the wheel. This creates friction, which converts the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle into heat energy, slowing down the vehicle.

3. What are the different variations of disc brakes used in car brake performance studies?

The different variations of disc brakes used in car brake performance studies include rotor size, material, and design; brake pad material and design; and brake caliper design. These variations can affect the braking efficiency, durability, and heat dissipation of the brakes.

4. How do scientists measure car brake performance using disc-brake variations?

Scientists measure car brake performance using disc-brake variations by conducting controlled experiments and tests in a laboratory or on a test track. They gather data on factors such as stopping distance, braking force, and heat dissipation to compare the performance of different disc brake variations.

5. What are the potential benefits of improving car brake performance using disc-brake variations?

The potential benefits of improving car brake performance using disc-brake variations include increased safety for drivers and passengers, improved braking efficiency and response time, and reduced wear and tear on brake components. This can also lead to cost savings for vehicle owners in terms of maintenance and repairs.