Why is the average moment of a dipole zero?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipole
So, the average of the moment of the dipole over time is equal to zero. In summary, the average moment of the dipole is zero due to the fact that the dipole is constant throughout the electron's motion and its direction along the radius causes the vectors to cancel each other.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
let's say we have an electron circling the nucleus (like the bohr's hydrogen atom), i don't understand why the average wrt to time of the moment of the diople is zero?
we have this equation: [tex]\frac{\int_{0}^{T}pdt}{T}[/tex]
well obviously the diople, p, is constant throughout the elctron's motion, and it ahs the value p=eR where e is the electro's charge and R is the radius of motion, so unless I am missing something the average should be eR, so why am i wrong here?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The dipole is a vector.

i know that it's defined as a vector which its direction is along the radius, does it mean that on the whole circle the vectors cancel each other, obviously they do.
thanks.

loop quantum gravity said:
i know that it's defined as a vector which its direction is along the radius, does it mean that on the whole circle the vectors cancel each other, obviously they do.
thanks.

Yes. The atom has an instantaneous, but not a permanent dipole.

1. Why is the average moment of a dipole zero?

The average moment of a dipole is zero because a dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges that are separated by a distance. This results in a cancellation of the positive and negative charges, leading to a net moment of zero.

2. How does the orientation of a dipole affect its average moment?

The orientation of a dipole does not affect its average moment, as the dipole is symmetrical and the moments of the positive and negative charges cancel out regardless of its orientation.

3. Can the average moment of a dipole be non-zero?

Yes, the average moment of a dipole can be non-zero if the positive and negative charges are not equally separated, or if the dipole is not symmetrical. In such cases, the moments of the charges do not cancel out, resulting in a non-zero average moment.

4. How is the average moment of a dipole related to its electric field?

The average moment of a dipole is directly proportional to its electric field. This means that a stronger electric field will result in a larger average moment, while a weaker electric field will result in a smaller average moment.

5. Why is the average moment of a dipole important in physics?

The average moment of a dipole is important in physics because it helps explain various phenomena, such as the behavior of molecules in an electric field and the properties of materials. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the principles of electromagnetism and the behavior of electric charges in different situations.