Calculating Moles of O Atoms in Mn(NO3)2

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Moles
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding calculating the number of moles of O atoms in 13.27 g Mn(NO3)2. The solution involves finding the molar mass of the compound and using it to calculate the number of moles of the compound in 13.27 g. It is also mentioned that there are 6 moles of O atoms in the compound, and there may have been a typo in the previous calculation. The suggested solution is to try using 0.445 mol as the answer.
salman213
Calculate the number of moles of O atoms in 13.27 g Mn(NO3)2.

Hi I did this question and it seemed pretty easy but there is this online assignment I am doing it for and it says I am not getting the right answer.

Please can someone try it and see if they get what i do, or tell me what I am doing wrong

My Solution:

mass (13.27g) x

1 mole
------------------------------- x
MM of Mn(NO3)2 (178.96g/mol)

6 atoms of O
----------------- = .4449 mol
1 mole

When i submit my answer it says Incorrect!

I don't understand what's wrong with that

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the molar mass of the whole compound ie Mn + 2N + 6O = x
Then calculate how many moles of this is in 13.27g
Finally you have 2 moles of oxygen for each mole of the compound.

what?

2 moles of oxygen in each compound>?

ther are 6 moles of oxygen not 2

and the molar mass is wrong that i said up ther?

Sorry typo - meant to say 6. I couldn't follow your equations so I was trying to describe how to do it in simple terms.

I get the same answer, you might want to try 0.445 mol if the question site is dumb and is just using whole number masses.

What is a mole of O atoms?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent the amount of a substance. In the case of O atoms, one mole is equal to 6.022 x 10^23 atoms.

How do you calculate the number of moles of O atoms?

To calculate the number of moles of O atoms, you can use the formula: number of moles = number of particles / Avogadro's number. So for example, if you have 3.011 x 10^24 O atoms, you would divide that number by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to get 5 moles of O atoms.

What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number is a constant in chemistry that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. It is equal to 6.022 x 10^23, and is named after the Italian scientist Amedeo Avogadro.

Why is it important to calculate moles of O atoms?

Calculating moles of O atoms is important because it allows chemists to accurately measure and compare the amounts of different substances in a chemical reaction. It also helps in determining the composition and properties of a substance.

What are some common units for expressing moles of O atoms?

The most common units for expressing moles of O atoms are moles (mol) and grams (g). Other units such as kilograms (kg) or milligrams (mg) can also be used, but are less frequently used in calculations involving moles.