Where did all the anti matter go to?

In summary, the topic of antimatter is currently being heavily researched in the field of physics. While scientists have been able to produce and detect antimatter, the question of where all the antimatter went to and why there is a greater abundance of matter in the universe remains an open question. The concept of CP violation has been proposed as a potential explanation for the asymmetry between matter and antimatter, but it is not a definitive solution and further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
Cookie_1993
Where did all the anti matter go to??

hi all

i have read dozens of articles on anti matter, but my question is.. is it all true?
is it true tht antimatter has been found?
where was it found??
why didnt tht bit of anti matter destroy the matter??
where did all the anti matter go to??

Physics news on Phys.org
I can answer your last question:

Cookie_1993 said:
where did all the anti matter go to??

Well, it's not really an answer. However, this question, or more specifically the question of why the laws of physics favour matter over antimatter, is currently one of the open questions in physics and is thus being researched at the moment.

I'm sure someone else will have something else to say about your other questions.

yes it is true.

Antimatter is produced in for example radioactive decays (beta minus is electron, beta plus is positron; electrons anti particle)

Antimatter is detected when it meets its corresponding particle, photons are beeing created; and those we detect.

There are very intersting that the universe is made up of matter; there should be created equal amounts; but somehow, a tiny tiny bit more ordinary matter was created.

Actually yes,Antimatter or better to say Antihydrogen has produced but we are still not able to tarp and save it and we've just recorded the annihilation of antiatoms in traps.
But many scientists work very hard to reach this valuable point.
There is a department in CERN named AD(antiproton Decelerator) which work on this project, for more info about the progress you can go to http://athena.web.cern.ch/athena/

There is no natural antimatter on Earth but scientists are not 100% sure about the whole universe.

Last edited:
The thing I reffered to was antiparticles. Anitmatter is propably defined as bound states of antiparticles. or?

Antimatter is just the general name for antiparticles. It doesn't have to be bound states. A large collection of positron 'gas' will not be in a bound state but it will still be a lot of antimatter.

AlphaNumeric2 said:
Antimatter is just the general name for antiparticles. It doesn't have to be bound states. A large collection of positron 'gas' will not be in a bound state but it will still be a lot of antimatter.

Great then I did not make an error in my first reply ;)

cristo said:
I can answer your last question:

Well, it's not really an answer. However, this question, or more specifically the question of why the laws of physics favour matter over antimatter, is currently one of the open questions in physics and is thus being researched at the moment.

I'm sure someone else will have something else to say about your other questions.

Well, what about the CP violation? Does´t it solve the problem of the abundance of matter?

Magister said:
Well, what about the CP violation? Does´t it solve the problem of the abundance of matter?

Not in and of itself, no. CP violation allows such an asymmetry; but, it doesn't guarantee it. You still need some mechanism to generate the asymmetry.

Parlyne said:
Not in and of itself, no. CP violation allows such an asymmetry; but, it doesn't guarantee it. You still need some mechanism to generate the asymmetry.

Ohh, I understand. May be the question is then what exactly cause the CP violation? Can the foundation of both problems be the same, or in other words, can the CP violation occur because of the mechanism which generates the asymmetry?

1. Where did all the anti matter go to?

This is a question that has puzzled scientists for decades. According to the Big Bang theory, matter and anti matter were created in equal amounts. However, in our observable universe, there is a significant imbalance between the two.

2. What is anti matter?

Anti matter is a form of matter that has the opposite charge and spin of normal matter. When matter and anti matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing large amounts of energy.

3. How is anti matter studied?

Anti matter is studied using particle accelerators and detectors. Scientists can create small amounts of anti matter by colliding particles at high energies and then observe its behavior.

4. Could anti matter exist in other parts of the universe?

It is possible that anti matter exists in other parts of the universe, but it is highly unlikely that there are large amounts of it. If there were, we would see more evidence of its annihilation with normal matter.

5. What are the current theories about the disappearance of anti matter?

There are several theories about the disappearance of anti matter, but the most widely accepted one is called the "baryon asymmetry" theory. This suggests that in the early universe, there was a slight imbalance between matter and anti matter, and as the universe expanded and cooled, the matter and anti matter annihilated each other, leaving behind only matter.