Overcoming friction problems

• Thread starter crcowboyfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 75kg box sliding down a ramp with an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2. The problem asks to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp, as well as the acceleration of a 175 kg box on the same ramp. The solution involves using a free body diagram and the equations for force and acceleration, and ultimately finding a coefficient of friction of 0.061.
crcowboyfan

Homework Statement

1. A 75kg box slides down a 25* ramp with an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2
a. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp
b. What acceleration would a 175 kg box have on this ramp?

Homework Equations

Fg = (weight)(gravity)
??

The Attempt at a Solution

I started to try to find the force of gravity and the x and y components, but got confused on where to go from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Best way i found to start any questions with forces is a FBD/sketch, then bulid it up from what info your given.

F=m*acceleration
Force cause by friction > Fs=(Coef Kf)*(force from ramp, as the block has mg on ramp, ramp pushes back ( paired forces).)
components of mg will help as well

From a FBD/sketch of the block we find N (force on block from ramp) to be mg*cos(25).
The Fs will act against the acceleration, ie jump out a plane the air resistance (Fs) wil push you up, opposite from gravity. So the Fs will act up the slope. Acting down the slope we have F=ma, the block moving at 3.6ms^-2, and we know the mass.

Forces(net): So going down the slope we have component of the weight mgsin25 and up (Coef Kf)*N. The block is moving down the slope so. ma=mgsin25-(Coef Kf)*N

b)
the force down the slope is ma=mgsin25-(Coed Kf)*N (as the friction is pulling up the slope) from components earlier.
now the acceleration down the slope, (cancelling m over eq)
a=gsin25- (Coef Kf)*N

Note: As it is presumably the same block with more mass, same surface, Coeffecient is the contact between the two surfaces, surfaces didn't change so remains the same. I always found myself if the mass changed wanting to change the coefficient.

Last edited:
Ok so the force of gravity = (75 kg)(9.81m/s)= 735N

The Normal force = (735)(Cos25)= 666N

The force down the ramp= (75kg)(9.81)(Sin25)= 311N

Fnet= ?

How do I find the force of friction so that I can figure out the net force?

Last edited:
Think I got it.

Fx= max
=(75)(3.6)=270

311-270=41

41/666= .061 = Coeff. friction

That agrees with the answer in the book

thank you for helping me out.
I posted a thread with this exact problem five minutes ago, seems like we were both having the same issues on the same problem in the same book.
weird, huh?
thank you so much for helping me.
i think i got it now. i was confused about the sine and cosine stuff. thanks for the helps!-Fin

Last edited:

1. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down or stop objects from moving.

2. What are the causes of friction?

Friction is caused by the roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of tiny bumps and ridges when two surfaces come in contact. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of material can also affect the amount of friction.

3. How can we reduce friction?

There are several ways to reduce friction, such as using lubricants like oil or grease to lubricate the surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, and using ball bearings or wheels to minimize the contact between surfaces.

4. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Friction is present in many everyday activities, such as walking, riding a bike, or driving a car. It is also essential in sports, like the grip between a tennis racket and a ball or the friction between a skateboard and the ground.

5. How can we overcome friction problems in machines?

To overcome friction problems in machines, engineers use techniques such as adding lubricants, using materials with low friction coefficients, and designing machine components with smoother surfaces. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning can help reduce friction and prolong the life of the machine.