System of hydrogen atoms in an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses using first order perturbation theory to determine the probability of finding atoms in a specific state. The question arises whether to convert the state equations into cartesian or spherical coordinates and if the direction or magnitude of the electric field is relevant. The perturbation involves an interaction of the form E\cdot \mu, where \mu=e*r is the dipole moment for the electron and E is the electric field directed along the z-axis. The dot product takes into account the angle and distance in spherical coordinates.
Reid
Using the first order perturbation theory I will determine the probability of finding some atoms in a certain state. The electric field is directed along the z-axis. But i don't understand how this is done.

Should I convert the hydrogen atoms state equations into cartesian coordinates or should I keep the spherical ones and just convert the electric field? Or is that necessary?

Should I only regard the magnitude of the electric field or is the direction relevant?

I am confused. :S

Physics news on Phys.org
You're perturbing with an interaction of the form [itex]E\cdot \mu[/itex], where [itex]\mu=e*r[/itex] is the dipole moment for the electron relative to the origin of the Hydrogen atom (e is the charge of the electron and r is the vector pointing to the electron). With the electric field E in the +z direction, the dot product gives [itex]|E||r|cos\theta [/itex], where theta is the angle in spherical coordinates with respect to the z-axis, and |r| is the radial distance r in spherical coordinates.

First of all, it is important to clarify that the use of perturbation theory in this scenario is to determine the probability of finding hydrogen atoms in a certain state in the presence of an electric field. This is a common approach in quantum mechanics when dealing with perturbations in a system.

In order to apply first order perturbation theory, it is not necessary to convert the equations of the hydrogen atom into Cartesian coordinates. The spherical coordinates can still be used, as the perturbation is only applied in the z-direction. However, it is important to consider the effect of the electric field on the Hamiltonian of the system, which will involve converting the electric field into the appropriate units and coordinates.

The direction of the electric field is also relevant, as it will affect the perturbation on the system and therefore the probability of finding the atoms in a certain state. The magnitude of the electric field will also play a role in the calculation, as it will determine the strength of the perturbation.

If you are still confused, I would recommend consulting a textbook or seeking guidance from a mentor or colleague who is familiar with perturbation theory in quantum mechanics. It is a complex topic and it is important to have a solid understanding before attempting any calculations.

1. What is a system of hydrogen atoms in an electric field?

A system of hydrogen atoms in an electric field is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of hydrogen atoms in the presence of an external electric field. It describes the interactions between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons in the atom, as well as the effects of the electric field on these particles.

2. How does an electric field affect the energy levels of hydrogen atoms?

An electric field can cause the energy levels of hydrogen atoms to split into multiple sub-levels. This is known as the Stark effect and is a result of the interaction between the electric field and the charged particles in the atom.

3. What is the significance of studying the system of hydrogen atoms in an electric field?

Studying this system allows us to better understand the behavior of atoms in the presence of external forces, which has important applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and spectroscopy. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of atomic structure and the nature of the interactions between particles.

4. How is the behavior of hydrogen atoms in an electric field different from that of other atoms?

Hydrogen atoms have only one electron, making their behavior in an electric field simpler to analyze compared to atoms with multiple electrons. Additionally, the energy levels of hydrogen atoms can be easily calculated using the Schrödinger equation, making it a useful system for studying the effects of electric fields on atomic structure.

5. Can the system of hydrogen atoms in an electric field be used to explain real-world phenomena?

Yes, this model has been used to explain various physical phenomena, such as the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of electric fields and the behavior of hydrogen atoms in stars and other astronomical objects. It also has practical applications in fields such as laser technology and nuclear physics.