Dealing with a Difficult Boss: Telling the Truth Tactfully

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle a boss who talks rubbish and becomes angry when confronted with blunt honesty. The speaker believes in being truthful and not sugar-coating their opinions, but wonders why tact is necessary if the truth is being spoken. They also share a humorous story about their boss becoming so angry that they did a "war dance." The conversation concludes with the speaker advising against confronting the boss and instead learning to mimic their behavior in order to advance in their career.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If your boss is talking rubbish how do you tell him/her , my boss went red in the face and did a war dance just because i was a bit blunt, but then tact is not one of my qualities,
and why should it be if i am telling the truth?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/SFS/pcSFS.jpg
Shut up, you big dummy.

Cyrus said:
http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/SFS/pcSFS.jpg
Shut up, you big dummy.

If some one asks my opinion i tell it as it is, i do not try to embellish it with platitudes and cap doffing, why should i?

Have you ever got your boss so mad he/she is incoherent and literally dancing with rage,
it is so funny, but you dare not laugh even though you are busting.

Last edited:
wolram said:
If your boss is talking rubbish how do you tell him/her , my boss went red in the face and did a war dance just because i was a bit blunt, but then tact is not one of my qualities,
and why should it be if i am telling the truth?
Were you blunt to the boss, or blunt to a customer? I hope you don't end up tactless and unemployed.

wolram said:
If your boss is talking rubbish how do you tell him/her

You don't. It's something you learn over the years. He's your boss BECAUSE he's telling rubbish. Otherwise he would never have arrived there. (at least, that's the theory that I developed, and it did withstand a lot of empirical data up to now).

If you want to make a career, learn what rubbish your boss is telling, and go and proclaim the same. Very soon, you'll get a promotion.

1. How should I approach my difficult boss about a problem?

When addressing a problem with your boss, it is important to remain calm and professional. Start by clearly stating the issue and providing specific examples. Avoid using accusatory language and instead focus on finding a solution. It may also be helpful to offer suggestions for how the problem can be resolved.

2. Is it ever okay to lie to my difficult boss?

No, it is never okay to lie to your boss. While it may be tempting to avoid conflict or please your boss in the short term, lying will ultimately damage your relationship and credibility. Instead, focus on finding a tactful and honest way to communicate your thoughts and concerns.

3. What if my difficult boss becomes defensive or angry during our conversation?

If your boss becomes defensive or angry during your conversation, remain calm and try to redirect the focus back to the issue at hand. Avoid getting into a heated argument and instead focus on finding a solution. If necessary, take a break and come back to the conversation once everyone has had time to cool off.

4. Should I involve HR when dealing with a difficult boss?

If the issue with your boss is serious and is impacting your work or well-being, it may be appropriate to involve HR. However, it is important to try to address the issue directly with your boss first. HR should be seen as a last resort if you are unable to find a resolution with your boss.

5. How can I maintain a positive relationship with my difficult boss?

Maintaining a positive relationship with your boss can be challenging, but it is important for your own well-being and career growth. Focus on being respectful, professional, and open to feedback. Find ways to communicate effectively and work towards finding common ground and a positive working relationship.