Additional courses after graduation

• Courses
  • Thread starter plato1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker is a senior graduating with a B.S. in physics but was unable to take desired upper level courses due to scheduling conflicts. They are wondering if it is possible to take these courses at another institute and are also considering taking additional courses to boost their credentials for future job opportunities. They ask for advice on how to go about this, and it is suggested to potentially delay graduation or enroll as a non-degree seeking student. The speaker is also advised to contact the instructor or department for permission to take upper level courses.
plato1
I am a senior graduating this semester with a B.S. physics degree. Unfortunately, I have not been able to take some of the upper levels (optics, solid state physics) I had wanted to due to scheduling conflicts. Does anyone know if it is possible to take these one or two courses at any other institute?

Also related to the subject, although I would like to go to graduate school, I am putting that plan on hold for now. In the meantime, I am trying to get a job that would boost my credentials when applying to grad schools, such as engineering/research positions. I was wondering if there are courses I could take to build up an engineering or computer science background which would make it easier to get a job in such fields. Thank you for any advice anyone might have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Couldn't you simply delay graduation by just one semester to take those courses?

Many (perhaps most) colleges/universities in the U.S. allow people to enroll in individual classes as a "non-degree seeking student" or some similar category, subject to space being available after accommodating regular students. Of course, you'd have to pay tuition and fees, probably at some rate per credit hour.

Our catalog has the following statement:

Students who are not candidates for a degree may, upon approval of the Dean of Admissions, be admittted to such classes as they may be prepared to take and shall be officially classified as "special students."

For upper-level courses you'd probably also have to contact the instructor or department, and get their permission after showing them that you've had the equivalent of their pre-requisite courses.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of taking additional courses after graduation?

Taking additional courses after graduation can provide you with new knowledge and skills that can make you more competitive in the job market. It can also help you expand your network and improve your chances of getting a higher salary.

2. What types of courses are available for graduates?

There are various types of courses available for graduates, such as certificate programs, professional development courses, and online courses. These courses can range from technical skills to leadership and management training.

3. Can I take additional courses in a different field than my major?

Yes, you can take additional courses in a different field than your major. This can help you gain new perspectives and broaden your knowledge base, making you a well-rounded professional.

4. How long does it take to complete additional courses after graduation?

The length of time it takes to complete additional courses after graduation depends on the type of course and your schedule. Some courses may only take a few weeks to complete, while others may take several months.

5. How can I find and enroll in additional courses after graduation?

You can search for additional courses online or through your university's career center. Many online platforms offer a wide range of courses, and you can enroll in them directly. You can also contact your alumni association for recommendations and opportunities to enroll in courses.