Pressure at the bottom of a container

In summary, the pressure at the bottom of an open glass container with 0.10 m of oil (density=850 kg/m^3) and 0.20 m of water (density=1000 kg/m^3) on top is equal to the sum of the pressures of each fluid at their respective depths. This can be calculated using the equation (density)(depth)(gravity) for each fluid. The total pressure at the bottom will also need to include an additional 1 atmosphere.
Spirochete

Homework Statement

In an open glass container, 0.10 m of oil (rho=850 kg/m^3) floats on top of 0.20 m of water (1000 kg/m^3). What is the pressure at the bottom of the glass?

Homework Equations

(rho)(h)(g)= pressure at a depth of h

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I'm not sure of is: for the oil, should I consider h to be o.1 m, or the sum of both heights, making h 0.3?

edit: I also know i have to add in 1 atmosphere at the end

Physics news on Phys.org
Spirochete said:
The only thing I'm not sure of is: for the oil, should I consider h to be o.1 m, or the sum of both heights, making h 0.3?
Each fluid gets its own "height". You'll find the sum of both pressures, not heights.

I would suggest that the height, h, to be considered for the oil should be 0.1 m, as that is the depth at which the oil is located. The total height of the liquid in the container is not relevant for calculating the pressure at the bottom.

Using the equation (rho)(h)(g) = pressure at a depth of h, we can calculate the pressure at the bottom of the container for both the oil and water separately.

For the oil:
Pressure at bottom = (850 kg/m^3)(0.1 m)(9.8 m/s^2) = 833 Pa

For the water:
Pressure at bottom = (1000 kg/m^3)(0.2 m)(9.8 m/s^2) = 1960 Pa

To find the total pressure at the bottom of the container, we can add these two pressures together and also add in 1 atmosphere (101,325 Pa) as mentioned in the problem.

Total pressure at bottom = 833 Pa + 1960 Pa + 101,325 Pa = 104,118 Pa

Therefore, the pressure at the bottom of the glass container is approximately 104,118 Pa.

1. What is pressure at the bottom of a container?

The pressure at the bottom of a container is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the fluid above it. It is measured in units of force divided by units of area, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

2. How does the pressure at the bottom of a container change with depth?

The pressure at the bottom of a container increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above it pushing down. This is known as hydrostatic pressure.

3. Does the shape of the container affect the pressure at the bottom?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect the pressure at the bottom. For example, in a container with a wider base, the pressure at the bottom will be distributed over a larger area, resulting in a lower pressure compared to a container with a smaller base and a higher pressure.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect the pressure at the bottom of a container?

The density of the fluid affects the pressure at the bottom of a container because denser fluids have a greater weight per unit volume. This means that a container filled with a denser fluid will have a higher pressure at the bottom compared to a container filled with a less dense fluid.

5. Can the pressure at the bottom of a container be greater than the pressure at the surface?

Yes, the pressure at the bottom of a container can be greater than the pressure at the surface. This is because as depth increases, the weight of the fluid above also increases, resulting in a higher pressure at the bottom. This is known as hydrostatic pressure gradient.