Electric Field/Potential Of A Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around electric fields and potential in a uniformly charged nucleus modelled as a sphere. The textbook and tutor have conflicting information, but according to the formulas provided, the electric field increases as one gets closer to the center of the nucleus and the potential inside the nucleus is constant. It is discussed that there is no reason for the electric field to be zero inside the sphere since the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume. The use of Gauss law and symmetry would also indicate a non-zero electric field inside the sphere.
Trenthan
Ey all

Im a little confussed with electric fields and potential. My textbook says one thing and my tutor has said the opposite*, so I am not sure what to belive.

If we have a "uniformly" charged necleus(we can model as a uniformly charged sphere) thus the charge(protons) are spread throughout the whole volume of the sphere not just the surface** (only at surface when all points in the sphere are in electrostatic equilibrium which isn't stated*)

Therefore the electric field would be
R- radius of necleus, r- radius,
Eoutside necleus = (1/(4*pi*e0))*(Q/r2), When r>R
Einside necleus = (1/(4*pi*e0))*(Q*r/R3),When r<R

My totor said that E=0 inside the nucleus, I am hoping i only copied down what she said wrong :S, if someone can confirm please. If the formula are correct therefore the elctric field increases as we get closer to the center of the nucleus

Electrostatic potential,(doesnt state that neucleus is in electrostatic equilibrium so I am unsure why they don't simply ask for potential* anyway, if someone can explain i would appreciate it, from what I've read they are the same)
Voutside necleus = (1/(4*pi*e0))*(Q/r) When r>R
Vinside necleus = (1/(4*pi*e0))*(Q/R) When r<R
Assuming the formula are correct therefore the potential inside the nucleus is constant? and decreases by 1/r outside the nucleus,

Cheers Trent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The more i look, the more convinced i am that there is a electric field in a sphere with charge uniformly distributed, anyone else know for sure?

There's no reason why the E-field in the sphere should be zero since the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume. A similar setup for this would be an insulator sphere which has a uniform volume charge density. Gauss law and symmetry would tell you that the E-field inside is non-zero.

What is the equation for the electric field of a sphere?

The electric field of a sphere can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

How does the electric field change with distance from the center of a charged sphere?

The electric field of a sphere decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center, according to the equation E = kQ/r2.

What is the electric potential of a sphere?

The electric potential of a sphere is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from infinity to a point at a given distance from the center of the sphere. It can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center.

How does the electric potential change with distance from the center of a charged sphere?

The electric potential of a sphere decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the center, according to the equation V = kQ/r.

Can the electric field and electric potential of a sphere ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field and electric potential of a sphere can be zero at the center of the sphere. This is because the distance from the center is zero, making the denominator in the equations E = kQ/r2 and V = kQ/r equal to zero. However, at any other point on the surface of the sphere, the electric field and electric potential will never be zero.