LIMITS, complicated square roots and factoring

In summary, the given limit expression can be simplified by multiplying both the top and bottom by the conjugate of the numerator and then evaluating, resulting in a final answer of 1/2.
susan__t
The question is as follows:
[tex]\frac{lim}{h\rightarrow0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{\sqrt{1+h}-1}{h}[/tex]

I don't know if the way I approached the question is right, I'll give you a step by step of what I attempted:
First I converted the square root into 11/2 and h1/2 (can I do that? Is that correct?)
Then I continued to evaluate, getting h1/2 over h
Finally I determined the value to be 0 because 0-1/2 is 0.

I feel as though my first step is where I might have errored but I'm not sure how else to approach it, perhaps by converting the h to a h-1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
susan__t said:
First I converted the square root into 11/2 and h1/2 (can I do that? Is that correct?)
Are you saying that [itex]\sqrt{1 + h} = \sqrt{1} + \sqrt{h}[/itex] (for all h)? If so, then no, this is not correct.

but I'm not sure how else to approach it
Hint: Multiply top and bottom by [itex]\sqrt{1+h} + 1[/itex], and see what happens.

Hi again Susan_t;

When you do the multiplication suggested above, think about how the product [tex] (a-b)(a+b) [/tex] is expanded.

I don't like the word "trick" in relation to mathematics, but the suggested step given by morphism will be a handy one to master in your studies.

Yes! that definitely got my wheels turning, I ended up rationalizing it by the multiplying of both the top and the bottom of the equation with the opposite of the numerator and an answer of one half. Thanks for the help again

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and can be used to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you evaluate limits?

There are several methods for evaluating limits, including direct substitution, factoring, and using special limits such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule. The specific method used depends on the type of function and the given limit.

3. What is a complicated square root?

A complicated square root is a square root that contains variables, fractions, or other operations within the radical. These can be simplified using techniques such as factoring or the rationalizing method.

4. How do you factor complicated expressions?

To factor a complicated expression, you can use techniques such as the difference of squares, grouping, or the quadratic formula. It is important to identify any common factors and use the correct method based on the type of expression.

5. Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify and solve complicated expressions and equations. It is also a key concept in algebra and plays a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and number theory.