Coefficient of static friction of crate

In summary, the conversation discusses a 200N crate resting on a ramp at a 20 degree angle with the horizontal. The equation T=N/cos theta is used to find the coefficient of static friction between the crate and ramp surfaces, with an answer of 0.47. The conversation also addresses the three forces acting upon the object, including gravity, the weight of the crate on the ramp, and the ramp pushing up on the crate. The frictional force and normal force are also mentioned as functions of weight, and the use of x- and y-axes to determine these forces is suggested.
collegegirl

Homework Statement

A 200N crate rests on a ramp, the angle is 20 degrees with the horizontal. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and ramp surfaces

Homework Equations

T=N/cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

200/cos25 = 219

I don't know where to go from here. The answer is .47 Please show me a direction to take.!

Physics news on Phys.org
collegegirl said:

Homework Statement

A 200N crate rests on a ramp, the angle is 20 degrees with the horizontal. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and ramp surfaces

Homework Equations

T=N/cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

200/cos25 = 219

I don't know where to go from here. The answer is .47 Please show me a direction to take.!

What forces are acting upon the object? (Hint: There are three forces and one of these forces has components if you choose an efficient coordinate system.)

Would the three forces be gravity, the weight of the crate on the ramp, and the ramp pushing up on the crate? If so, the only one I have numbers for is gravity??

collegegirl said:
Would the three forces be gravity, the weight of the crate on the ramp, and the ramp pushing up on the crate? If so, the only one I have numbers for is gravity??

Weight and gravity are related by [tex]\vec{w}=m\vec{g}[/tex]. The other two forces are going to be the frictional force (a function of the normal force) and the normal force, itself, a function of weight. So, where are your x- and y-axes going to lie?

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied.

4. Can the coefficient of static friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can change depending on the conditions of the surfaces in contact. For example, if the surfaces become smoother, the coefficient of static friction will decrease.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps determine the maximum force that can be applied before an object starts to move on a surface. This is crucial in understanding the stability and movement of objects in various situations.