Relating unsteady flow to height

In summary: The static pressure in the fluid issuing from the small orifice is lower than the static pressure in the fluid just before it. The dynamic pressure in the fluid issuing from the small orifice is also lower than the dynamic pressure in the fluid just before it. Therefore, the flow rate through the small orifice is lower than the flow rate into the cylinder.
hem1ngway
Hey this problem of mine involves unsteady fluid flow (Q) into a cylinder of diameter (D). There is a small hole at the bottom of the cylinder of diameter (d) which is much smaller than (D) hence d << D. Because of this the fluid level will rise to a maximum height (h) before decreasing to zero over time.

Please see diagram

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8462/pic1ub8.th.jpg

How does the unsteady fluid flow relate to the height? As in is it possible to work out this maximum height that would occur?

I'm so stuck on this! Could anyone point me in the right direction? I understand that the work will not be done for me but if you could point me in the right direction with equations to use I would be very greatful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the fluid level decrease to zero? The fluid level should reach a steady state when the flow rate through the smaller hole becomes equal to the flow rate into the cylinder. The velocity of the fluid issuing from the smaller hole should increase as the static pressure increases. If you assume an inviscid incompressible flow, you can derive a relationship between this velocity and the fluid height from Bernoulli's principle.

The fluid level would eventually decrease to zero over time as it would flow out of the smaller diameter at the bottom of the cylinder due to gravity.

When the flow rate into the cylinder equals the flow rate out of the cylinder a height of fluid will occur.

How do I work out that height of fluid and relate it to the flow rate into and out of the cylinder?

To find the flow rate out of the cylinder, you need to know the velocity of fluid issuing from the small hole. To do this, you will need to apply Bernoulli's equation to the fluid issuing from the smaller hole.

As you may recall, Bernoulli's equation states that the sum of the static and dynamic pressures is constant along a fluid steam. What are the static and dynamic pressures in the fluid just before reaching the small orifice? What are the static and dynamic pressures in the fluid issuing from the small orifice?

1. How does unsteady flow affect height?

Unsteady flow refers to the fluctuation or variation of a fluid's velocity over time. This can affect the height of the fluid in several ways. For example, during a period of high velocity, the fluid may rise in height due to increased pressure. Conversely, during a period of low velocity, the fluid may decrease in height due to decreased pressure.

2. What is the relationship between unsteady flow and height?

The relationship between unsteady flow and height is complex and can vary depending on the specific conditions. In general, however, unsteady flow can cause changes in height due to the fluctuation of pressure within the fluid. This can be observed in natural phenomena such as waves in the ocean or flow in a river.

3. How can we measure the effects of unsteady flow on height?

There are several methods for measuring the effects of unsteady flow on height. One common approach is to use instruments such as pressure gauges or flow meters to track changes in pressure and velocity over time. Additionally, mathematical models and simulations can also be used to predict and analyze the behavior of unsteady flow.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying unsteady flow and height?

Understanding the relationship between unsteady flow and height is crucial in various industries and fields of study. For example, in civil engineering, knowledge of unsteady flow can help in designing structures such as dams, bridges, and levees that can withstand fluctuating water levels. In fluid dynamics, studying unsteady flow can aid in predicting the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, such as in weather patterns or in the flow of blood through the human body.

5. How can we control or mitigate the effects of unsteady flow on height?

In some cases, it may be necessary to control or mitigate the effects of unsteady flow on height. This can be accomplished through various measures, such as using barriers or pumps to regulate the flow of fluid, or constructing structures that can withstand fluctuations in pressure. Additionally, advanced modeling and simulation techniques can aid in predicting and managing the effects of unsteady flow on height in different settings.