Calculating Flux and Applying the Divergence Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an integral using cylindrical coordinates to find the divergence of a given field. It is determined that the field can be simplified and the limits of integration can be rearranged for easier calculation. The correct integral is \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} (3r^2 + 3z^2) r dz dr d\theta, which simplifies to \frac{2916\pi}{2}.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/88/fluxm.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to find the divergence of F and I got 3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2 and as this is a variable I need to set up the integral... how do I set the integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think using cylindrical coordinate will be fine

how would you do it in cylindrical coordinate? is it something like this?

do you mean that I don't need to use the divF of it?

Last edited:
-EquinoX- said:
how would you do it in cylindrical coordinate? is it something like this?

do you mean that I don't need to use the divF of it?

you mean how to express the integrated region?just set r from 0 to 3, z from 0 to10.
using divF is not a bad choice, indeed in this case it won't save you very much work,because it's pretty symmetric casem a you can try to calculate it directly,

to use divergence I will need tot calculate the volume right? and I then will need to convert x, y, and z to cylindrical coordinate... which is x = r cos(theta), y = r cos(theta) , so in this case it's x^3cos(theta)^3.. right?

Rule of thumb...x axis and y-axis are not parallel...y=r sin(theta)... unless you're dealing with some weird system...

oops.. bad copy and paste mistake.. so in the end it will be:

\int0^10 \int_0^3 27cos(\theta) + 27sin(\theta) + z^3 dr d\theta

now what is r here?

This is a triple integral so there should be 3 limits. Also it seems that [tex]3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2[/tex] is your field, so in cylindrical it would be [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} 3r^2 cos^2(\theta) + 3r^2 sin^2(\theta) + 3z^2 r dz dr d\theta[/tex]

As you can see the field cancels out nicely in cylindrical. Also note the extra 'r' and the order of the limits.

The field seems symmetrical so you should be able to go from 0-->pi/2 and multiply by 2

latex seems to be ok again

djeitnstine said:
This is a triple integral so there should be 3 limits. Also it seems that [tex]3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2[/tex] is your field, so in cylindrical it would be [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} 3r^2 cos^2(\theta) + 3r^2 sin^2(\theta) + 3z^2 r dz dr d\theta[/tex]

As you can see the field cancels out nicely in cylindrical. Also note the extra 'r' and the order of the limits.

The field seems symmetrical so you should be able to go from 0-->pi/2 and multiply by 2

latex seems to be ok again

so it could then be simplified as:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} 3r^2 + 3z^2 r dz dr d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 30r^2 + 1000r dr d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} 4770 d\theta[/tex]
[tex]9540\pi[/tex]

is this wrong?

my confusion is that why is it 3z^2r ?? why is there extra r at the end of z?

Last edited:
This is because when converting to spherical the area of the differential section is [tex]rdrd\theta[/tex] and adapted to cylindrical is [tex]rdzdrd\theta[/tex] since the differential z is linear

the answer that I got above doesn't match.. wonder why..

Oh I needed brackets, I am sorry

[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} (3r^2 + 3z^2) r dz dr d\theta
[/tex]

r is ditributed

that's why I ask first place why is it 3z^2r because usually r is distributed.. thanks for clearing that up

djeitnstine said:
Oh I needed brackets, I am sorry

[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} (3r^2 + 3z^2) r dz dr d\theta
[/tex]

r is ditributed

here's what I got:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 \int_0^{10} (3r^3 + 3z^2r) dz dr d\theta [/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^3 30r^3 + 27r dr d\theta [/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} 2916/4 d\theta [/tex]
[tex]\frac{2916\pi}{2} [/tex]

the answer still doesn't match.. am I doing something wrong here?

thanks I got it now :)

What is the flux and divergence theorem?

The flux and divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the volume enclosed by the surface.

What is the significance of the flux and divergence theorem?

The flux and divergence theorem is significant because it allows us to calculate the flow of a vector field through a closed surface without having to explicitly integrate over the entire surface. It also helps us understand the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space.

What is the difference between flux and divergence?

Flux refers to the amount of a vector field passing through a given surface, while divergence measures the amount of "source" or "sink" at a particular point in the vector field. In other words, flux is a measure of flow, while divergence is a measure of the change of the field at a point.

How is the flux and divergence theorem used in real-world applications?

The flux and divergence theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. For example, it can be used to calculate the flow of air or water through a closed surface, or to analyze the behavior of electric or magnetic fields in a given volume.

What are the conditions for the flux and divergence theorem to hold?

In order for the flux and divergence theorem to hold, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable within the volume enclosed by the surface. Additionally, the surface must be closed and smooth, with a consistent orientation and normal vector at every point.